Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What has gone wrong here??

What has gone wrong here??

What looks like dust particles all over the negative, however I've no idea what it is, can someone tell me.

So I decided to do some pictures using the Imagon 300mm, on HP5, Sinar shutter, that is not likely to be where the problem exists, but i'm no expert. The lens glass is clean as a whistle. The film has been kept in the freezer and is a year off its expiry date. Development: Rodinal 1:100, stand development, no agitation, 40 min. The stopper is nearly finished, about 12 months old, the fixer is only recently opened.

To run a finger over the emulsion side of the neg I can feel slight roughness caused by whatever those marks are, but they are not solid or can they be removed, it's like they are imperfections in the film but this is the first time I've had the problem so I sought of excluded the film, but who knows.

I suspect the development is where the problem lies, it has happened twice now, the second time I took extra care with handling the negative from one solution to the next, but no different.

Over to you good folks for some suggestions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lamp and glass - Imagon050.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	120569

Re: What has gone wrong here??

OMG! Sorry it happened to you.

To me it appears to be a hugely defective emulsion. Sacrifice the next sheet in the box and look at it under 8 to 10x magnification. Is there stuff stuck to the film? Is the emulsion full of irregular holes?

Did you let the film defrost before loading it?

Holy S*** ! I don't think I've ever seen anything like this !

Things to check in no particular order are -
    - Was the film bought fresh or "second hand " ?

- As Jac said, sacrifice a sheet or two develop one examine the other.
    Does an unexposed , undeveloped sheet have the same rough feel ?

- check your developing chemicals, are the solutions clear without any particulate matter
    and not discolored, I use Tmax, Microdol X and HC110, they should be water clear except for HC110 which has
    a slight yellow tint to it.

- How were you developing, tray, tank, Jobo, etc ?

Just to add a little humor... perhaps the place you took the picture has paranormal activity

Is there particulate, such as from a new carbon filter, in your water?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

IS your water supply filtered? It appears there are numerous small solids in the supply which have stuck to the emulsion. These can easily be picked up as the water moves through the supply system including in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    IS your water supply filtered? It appears there are numerous small solids in the supply which have stuck to the emulsion. These can easily be picked up as the water moves through the supply system including in your home.
    Particulate matter would be white on a B&W print. This looks like true emulsion damage - holes or tears. It is unlikely to be from over-concentrate of stop bath because those holes are usually round.

...or do I need more coffee?

It's interesting that the 'specks' have a depth to them some seem in focus ( grayer <sp?> ) others not,
    would emulsion damage look like that ?

Back in the sixties on a beach in Mexico, I once had tiny ants crawl inside my Leica 3C-I think to chew on the emulsion. When I shot a frame they were silhouetted on the image. As I advanced the film the fluid in their abdomen squished out which also showed on the film making them look like giant ant comets. That was a bitch (but a lot of fun) to reverse engineer when I got back to the states and developed the film. I showed the prints to Beaumont Newhall who I was taking a class from at the time and I thought he was going to have a coronary he was laughing so hard.

I've been developing film since I was in the 6th grade and have no idea what happened to your film. Good luck this will be a challenge to figure out and whatever we come up with may never be more than a guess.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Ok, plenty to consider for this mystery. The film had been in the holder for a day before I exposed it so that should count out any problems with ice or wetness. While the stopper looks clear, I'm going to change to a fresh bottle. I know fixer crystallises but the bottle is pretty fresh and there are no signs of it doing this.

The dirty water idea is credible. In my developing room is a sink I use for water, this I have not used for a while so maybe some particles have built up in the pipes over time. I have access to filtered water in the house so maybe I'll change to that source. The film has been sitting around in the holders for about a month, but I wouldn't think that is the issue.

It's weird that whatever it is/was no longer exists on the sheet but has left a very faint mark I can feel, which indicates it has been there then either dissolved or been removed during the developing. To be absolutely sure I might take one fresh sheet out of the box and check it.

Another thought, at one stage I defrosted the freezer. Is it possible letting the sheets thaw then putting them back in to refreeze could be the problem?

Cheers

BC

"Another thought, at one stage I defrosted the freezer. Is it possible letting the sheets thaw then putting them back in to refreeze could be the problem?" If they weren't sealed air-tight, then yes. Jac is right. Particulate would show up as white.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know