Thread: John Dugdale's cyanotypes

John Dugdale's cyanotypes

Regarding Mr Dugdale's cyanotypes which were featured in the current issue of View Camera, does anyone know what process he uses, specifically, whether he uses the traditional formula or the newer formula of Dr Ware?

You can ask John Stevenson at the gallery whose link you used. He is very knowledgeable and a very nice guy. I'd say they were Mike Ware's process from looking at them but I'm sure John would know.

Cheers,

Richard

Clay

According to an interview in the World Journal of Post Factory Photography #5, he uses traditional cyanotype, double coated onto Rising Bristol 1 ply paper. Washes in 3 successive water baths with the last tray having a slug of pineapple juice (I am not making this up) in it.

Back issues of this magazine are still available from Judy Seigel if you are interested in reading the rest of the interview. email her at:
    jseigel@panix.com

The View Camera article got me interested enough in Dugdale to do a Google search on him and to look at some of the various gallery websites that feature his work. I have to say that I am impressed. I'm very glad that View Camera published this article. The daguerrotype article was also interesting, but I don't think that the process described holds a candle (unfortunately) to the usual daguerrotype process.