Thread: Tripod recommendation

Tripod recommendation

I am just getting back into 4x5 and am looking for a new tripod. I currently have a Zone VI wooden tripod with Bogen head that is very good but heavy. I am hoping to get some recommendation for lighter weight tripods that will work with 4x5 that are not overly expensive. If it is not cost effective then I can just suck it up and carry the one I have. Thanks in advance.

Re: Tripod recommendation

not knowing what type of camera you have doesn't make it easy but doing a search comes up with plenty of threads related to new tripods:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...archid=3354503

Definitely do a search, this is asked about twice a month.

I tried but I guess my search skills are sub par. I will give it another try. No need to post any more responses saying do a search. Thanks.

Pick one or two: inexpensive, light weight, very stable. If you find all three then let us all know.

In previous threads on the same subject, people hem and haw, but it always comes down to:

Used Tiltall
    Beater Gitzo Studex on eBay
    New no-name Chinese tripod

Any of those will support most 4x5 systems to some degree, and at a low price (under $200).

And Alan is absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Pick one or two: inexpensive, light weight, very stable. If you find all three then let us all know.

On the other end of the price scale, I highly recommend a gitzo mountaineer 2 with a induro bh1 head. Total supported weight is 39-40lbs. Gitzo has one the most solid reputation in the industry and the carbon fiber legs are sturdy and light. It can dismantle quickly to fit in a roller for travelling. Total weight of the combination is 4 lbs which is the perfect combination. Induro is designed by mamiya in the US. They keep their cost low by manufacturing in China. The head made of magnesium so the paint chips easily because there is no way to harden paint on magnesium but it is rock steady as a combination and can easily support a lot of weight

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

I have the Benro C2970F tripod and Benro B2 double acting ballhead. 3.5lb-tripod and 1lb-head for a light weight combo. The tripod is rated for 27lb load and the head for 44lbs. I use it for LF and digital with a Nikon D700 and up to a 400mm lens. Handles them with no problem so 4x5 doesnt even make them sweat. The price for the two is around $540 at B&H right now. The tripod comes with a nice carrying case with tools and spikes for the legs.

Benro has a simpler model, C2580F, that does not have the three way column for $10.00 less and a weight savings of .5 lb. You don't need a three way column for LF but if you shoot 35mm or MF it is handy.

They ain't Gitzo or RRS but have been doing me right for a couple of years now with no problems and a price for the two that is less that the price of one item from the big names.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

+1 on a used Tiltall for the money(under $100)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Important tip about Majestics. Or any with a large plate to mount on, and a short tripod screw - They don't work with Anniversary model Speed Graphics, which have little bumps on the bottom for feet. The screw on mine doesn't go up enough to catch the camera threads.