Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Re: Photobackpacker is Retiring

I received a p3 kit today and i like the fit, but it sure doesn't seem like it will last for years and years. any one have one of these for a while? I'm thinking that the corners of my deardorff 5x7 will have the inside of its' camera case snagged and torn and the outer fabric of the pack seems like it will snag and tear on branches? the plastic clasp buckles seem somehow less strong than the ones on a few lowepro bags I have. maybe because they are brown? The tags that say made in china and vietnam are a bit of a turn off also.

The virtues previously mentioned are true. it is well organized and is lightweight and a nice fit. it holds quite alot of gear without the bulk of other packs

for the price, I hope it lasts for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by uphereinmytree View Post
    I received a p3 kit today and i like the fit, but it sure doesn't seem like it will last for years and years. any one have one of these for a while? I'm thinking that the corners of my deardorff 5x7 will have the inside of its' camera case snagged and torn and the outer fabric of the pack seems like it will snag and tear on branches? the plastic clasp buckles seem somehow less strong than the ones on a few lowepro bags I have. maybe because they are brown? The tags that say made in china and vietnam are a bit of a turn off also.

The virtues previously mentioned are true. it is well organized and is lightweight and a nice fit. it holds quite alot of gear without the bulk of other packs

for the price, I hope it lasts for many years.
    I think most people use the camera case and then place that in the pack? That way no snags?

As for the outside, many modern materials are much stronger than they appear?

My question is comfort, I use a mountain hardware brand pack that is a hybrid, it has a back frame and a hip belt on a pivoting hinge, they won all sorts of awards and it's the best pack for maneuvering I've ever worn (and I used to work at a camping store selling this stuff so I've worn a LOT of packs.

The pack isn't shaped to be used for an 8x10 but I hate to give it up if I don't have to... I think the internal stays or whatever keeps the back potion stiff as well as the hip belt and shoulder straps and lifts to pull it off your shoulder and overall taught and stability are more important to me then even the fabric tear strength.

the camera case inner material seems very flimsy. as I insert and remove the camera from the case, there is some interference from the inner fabric because it is not adhered to the wall of the case and which will eventually become torn. The case is a good fit to the camera and please keep in mind the case was not inexpensive.

I do hope the outer fabric is stronger than it seems. I'm too used to puffy solid walled backpacks.

A recently ordered P3 arrived. Bruce was very responsive about getting the fit right and updates about the order progress.

I have previous model P2 and a P3100 from PB. The new design uses the best of it's predecessors and the results are an excellent pack. The oldest PB I have is at least 7 years and still in like new condition. A Canham 8x10 traditional was used in the P3100 and has moved to the P3. With fitted camera case it fits nice & safe in the pack. Two very heavy lenses round out the kit. With 30#'s on board the pack rides just right and feels very comfortable. I can tell this pack is going to be comfortable over long hikes. The older packs were comfy but this one is even more so.
    The suspension is more 'airy' then previous packs so one should remain a bit cooler. Good stuff....

Tim

My P3 is a year old. It carries my Shen Hao 8x10, a Cascade of 3 holders, 4 lenses, dark cloth, Spotmeter V, various filters and hoods, cable release and note book with pencil (another pencil is in the Cascade). My photographs are mainly made in rivers and their surroundings in the Peak District in Derbyshire. If travel was being done on trails then I'd attach the tripod to the P3 as well, but getting close is usually necessary, which involves creeping about on twisty little paths and clambering down and up river banks with no paths at all. In such circumstances the tripod is in my hand so I don't snag it on Hawthorn, Briar, Alder, Willow, Ash and other trees. The pack is slim and so I can mostly keep it on whilst I wriggle through narrow spaces. Naturally it has been scratched at by the surrounding vegetation but the fabric in my example has remained intact. I don't wriggle by barbed wire whilst wearing the P3. For such exigencies I take the pack off and carefully weave it and myself by the offending obstacle! I've just pulled it off the shelf to check it over and so far so good. No damage at all. Anything can get damaged, we've all, no doubt, had accidents with our clothing and gear but I'm pretty sure the usual due diligence we all exercise as photographers should keep a P3 going for years to come.

RR

Mine still in the customs.. But I have a question -I have mainly bought it for my 8x10 tachihara but I was wondering whether anyone has tried to pack a monrail like a sinar norma into a photobackpacker's pack? How?
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Thanks Rod!

While I don't discount some of the concerns above ( upinmytree ), I know that someone who is coming from more robustly made photo packs might look at the ultra light aspect of this pack and balk at the thin walled material....and the lighter colored rip stop is indeed thin!

My only concern thus far, I am currently looking at a way to reinforce the tops of the P3 side pockets as I do think the very corners of the fabric on them could give if pulled on too many times...I have been at the hiking thing professionally for nearly 20 years, I just know what to look for. Other than that, I know how to treat lighter packs like this, weaving and bobbing past obstacles, simply taking care...

To keep it light, one can not expect it to be made by Carhartt or feel like army surplus, but I can see how to some a build this light might be at first a little alarming. I can sympathize with the others poster though, I too hope it lasts years and years...

Quote Originally Posted by uphereinmytree View Post
    the camera case inner material seems very flimsy. as I insert and remove the camera from the case, there is some interference from the inner fabric because it is not adhered to the wall of the case and which will eventually become torn. The case is a good fit to the camera and please keep in mind the case was not inexpensive.

I do hope the outer fabric is stronger than it seems. I'm too used to puffy solid walled backpacks.
    Inside every camera case, there is a roll of snag defeater material designed to reinforce areas that are subjected to sharp corners etc. If you didn't receive his, let me know.

Since 2004 I have sold over 600 Backpacks made with the same fabric. I have received no complaints regarding the durability of the packs.
    Bruce

I just saw the snag defeater and i'm sure with some care, I can keep the pack in good shape. thanks

I had an ad shoot at 11,000 feet this morning, took a Hasselblad 501CM and D810 with various lenses for both in the P3. It worked great, rode great, I really do expect this system to be the central figure in getting gear to shoots and working with it quickly and efficiently. I now have all 8 of my lens cases and all 4 cascades and everything is totally up to snuff, I think the build and weight of all the cases are a perfect balance of protection and super lightweight.

I spent no less than an hour in my gear closet last night getting rid of 90's era packs and bags that have blown zippers, outdated heavy designs, etc. I think if one approaches the Photobackpacker gear as a system to centralize an approach to managing gear in the field and let it infiltrate into other light weight back county & photo-centric packs like the new Lowe Pro stuff, well the whole damn show just rocks!

Bruce has been platinum in helping me get things dialed, making custom backer boards, etc so again, a big thanks.

My wife owns a few pairs of shoes and a few bags, I on the other hand have a mind boggling array of ways to carry gear and that is what it takes to manage a host of digital and film formats over 12 bodies and 36 lenses. Bruce's system ties it all together unlike anything I have ever used.