Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

  1. #1
    Has Been LF Photographer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    181

    Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    I received a catalog today from a company named Archival Museum Supplies based in San Diego. It looks just like the old Light Impressions catalogs with most of the same things in it.

    I'm thinking they got my name from an old Light Impressions list. I remember paying for a lifetime subscription to their catalogs back in the 1970s.

    I remember someone in California buying the Light Impressions company some years ago, then it seemed to fall apart.

    Does anyone know if someone has resurrected the company or product lines. The product line looks almost identical.

  2. #2
    the Docter is in Arne Croell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1997
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    I don't know that one; if its based on the last California-based version of Light Impressions, I would be cautious. I've been quite happy with "Archival Methods" http://www.archivalmethods.com/, headed by the former vice president of the original Rochester-based Light Impressions, and their offerings are pretty similar too.

  3. #3

    Re: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    No, AMS (http://archivalmuseumsupplies.com/index.aspx) is not related to Light Impressions; however, AMS used to supply certain products to LI and that is why there is a similarity between LI products and some products seen in the AMS catalog. LI was purchased by FDM Brands (http://www.fdmbrands.com/brands.html), which operates out Rochester, New York. AMS does not supply products to FDM Brands. The last time I spoke with FDM - about 2 months ago - they were unable to say when they might be able to provide the corrugated shipping boxes much coveted by members of this forum (http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...hipping-boxes/). I spoke to AMS today and they said they would look into the availability of those particular shipping boxes.

    N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,047

    Re: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by NER View Post
    No, AMS (http://archivalmuseumsupplies.com/index.aspx) is not related to Light Impressions; however, AMS used to supply certain products to LI and that is why there is a similarity between LI products and some products seen in the AMS catalog. LI was purchased by FDM Brands (http://www.fdmbrands.com/brands.html), which operates out Rochester, New York. AMS does not supply products to FDM Brands. The last time I spoke with FDM - about 2 months ago - they were unable to say when they might be able to provide the corrugated shipping boxes much coveted by members of this forum (http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...hipping-boxes/). I spoke to AMS today and they said they would look into the availability of those particular shipping boxes.

    N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com
    Just to add to the confusion, my last order for the corrugated shipping boxes that you reference came from Archival Methods out of Rochester (noted by Arne). That was about 18 months ago and I checked with Angela Blauvelt, Archival Methods marketing manager later who said that the supplier was out of business, however she was building a list of interested parties. No word since then. Perhaps those interested here could make a case for renewed production somewhere. I relied on those boxes for many years and am inconvenienced by their disappearance. Anyone else here interested in finding another supplier? Surely there must be a demand.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    Posts
    104

    Re: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    I got the catalog, too, and was struck by the almost identity with the LI catalog. Perhaps we should keep a keen eye on the operation, and if it turns out to be the antithesis of LI, we should rejoice. Please post your experiences here, both good and bad.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Posts
    3,140

    Re: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFisk View Post
    I got the catalog, too, and was struck by the almost identity with the LI catalog...
    As did/was I. There are even a number of illustrations in it that show "Light Impressions" labels on offered products.

    A few things in the paper catalog that interest me weren't found on the Web site. Some item numbers for the same things are different in those two places. I was going to place an order, just to see how things went, but, since the thing I want falls into that screwed up category, have now decided to wait for further feedback from others first. Smells bad, but I could be wrong.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,047

    Re: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I was going to place an order, just to see how things went, but, since the thing I want falls into that screwed up category, have now decided to wait for further feedback from others first. Smells bad, but I could be wrong.
    I think you may be right. I placed my catalog in the recycle.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Posts
    3,140

    Re: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    I received a catalog today from a company named Archival Museum Supplies based in San Diego. It looks just like the old Light Impressions catalogs with most of the same things in it...Does anyone know if someone has resurrected the company or product lines...
    As follow up, www.lightimpressionsdirect.com is down now. I don't know if that's a temporary situation or permanent. Nonetheless, it does add to suspicion that Archival Museum Supplies might be the same less-than-ethical entity after yet another cross-country move. Always one step ahead of legal consequences? Please, someone find out definitively. I'd really like a few of their items, but don't dare place an order.

  9. #9
    Eric Biggerstaff
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    Based on what Sal posted, I just tried Light Impressions and it was working fine. But, given recent history I would think twice before ordering. Like many here, I switched to Archival Methods several years ago and they have been great so I am sticking with them.
    Eric Biggerstaff

    www.ericbiggerstaff.com

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Posts
    3,140

    Re: Is this a resurrection of the old Light Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    As follow up, www.lightimpressionsdirect.com is down now. I don't know if that's a temporary situation or permanent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    Based on what Sal posted, I just tried Light Impressions and it was working fine...
    Yup, back up again. I guess there are no conclusions to be drawn from what was a temporary situation.

Similar Threads

  1. Light Impressions
    By Wayne Lambert in forum Business
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2013, 07:37
  2. Is Anyone Having Problems With Light Impressions?
    By Fragomeni in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 5-Nov-2012, 19:48
  3. Light Impressions?
    By Flexnib in forum Gear
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-May-2008, 14:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •