Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey Yall

Joel Edmondson

Re: Hey Yall

And I am down the road a bit near Thomaston... up until last year I visited Cedartown frequently as one of our show-horses was stabled at Belvedere Farm between shows. Welcome to the forum.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by JimBarbour View Post
    I'm just up the road in Dallas, Ga. Welcome!
    Good deal nice to meet a local. Do you know of a good camera store or place locally that might deal with old equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by tacosoup89 View Post
    Good deal nice to meet a local. Do you know of a good camera store or place locally that might deal with old equipment?
    Wings Camera carries some used stuff and usually has MF/LF and darkroom stuff (cameras, lenses, accessories, but no 4x5 film). They are at Briarcliff and Clairmont just east of I-85

The Camera Doctor has some stuff (darkroom and some MF/LF, but less useable LF gear IMHO). They sell very limited 4x5 (repackaged Arista EDU 100 for about $1 a sheet). They also have a rental darkroom. I was told that you needed to take the class before you could rent, but I'm not sure. They are in Decatur.

PPR on 11th street in Atlanta sells some 4x5 film (I'm not sure what they carry, but I just bought some Portra 160 there). They don't sell much gear (they mostly rent). I have had good luck printing with their lab.

There is always KEH. They are in Smyrna. If you order by 10am or so, you can pick it up at lunch time.

Jim

Welcome!

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome to the forum!

I am in the Brookhaven area of Atlanta and use 4x5" cameras on movie sets to create character portraits of actors. As far as I know, I am the last professional production stills photographer in the world doing this.

Another source of used large format equipment in Atlanta in addition to Wings, KEH and PPR is:
    Quality Camera Company
    382 Trabert Avenue, NW
    Atlanta, Georgia
    (404) 881-8700
    hours: Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
    Their business is buying out whole photography studios and retail photography stores then selling individual items. So unlike a normal retail store, their inventory can be hit and miss. If you are looking for something, give them a call.

Not in Georgia, but another place where I have done business is Columbus Camera Group in Columbus, Ohio USA:
    Columbus Camera Group, Inc.
    55 East Blake Avenue
    Columbus, Ohio 43202
    (614) 267-0686
    hours: Mon - Sat 9am – 6pm
    http://www.ColumbusCameraGroup.com
    They are in an old church that is full of used photography equipment. Any time I drive to/from Atlanta to Ohio to see friends and family, I make it a point to stop in and browse around. Give them a call if you are looking for something used.
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 16-Jan-2015 at 06:03. Reason: additional information

Welcome, north side of Atlanta in Johns Creek.

Welcome to the forum...

And I'm so sorry you've been infected (by the LF bug). It's not terminal, but it is incurably chronic.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by tacosoup89 View Post
    Yeah the camera is a 4x5 and came with 2 lenses and a pile of holders for 4x5 and 120 film. What would be considered a good landscape lense? I think the camera I got was primarily used in someones studio and never really went outside.
    Any lens can be used for landscape. I prefer longer lenses here in Missouri but I think most probably prefer wide angle lenses. I would say that the 90mm is the most popular wide angle. To me it is similar to a 25mm lens on a 35mm camera or full frame digital. Just remember that the format for 4x5 is more square than 35mm so things do look a bit different.

If you want a 90 then I would look for a modern Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, Fujinon or Caltar in a late model Copal shutter. They are all so similar in quality and "look" that I would let price and condition be your guide as to which brand to buy.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome from Geneva!