Thread: news: perceptol

news: perceptol

in germany ilford imaging announced recently that perceptol would be discontiuned.
    wolfgang moersch now produces the same developer for the benefits of the analogue-community. it is simply called efg (extra fine grain)developer. so, it hasn't gone away. good news, i think. regards. juergen
    for further information see: www.moersch-photochemie.de (also in english)

D-23 would also be a good replacement for Perceptol, and it's probably the easiest developer formula out there to mix yourself.

Octogenarian

The chemical ingredients for Ilford Perceptol can be found on the Ilford website, under Health and Safety Data Sheets. Although the actual Ilford formula is proprietry, the main ingredients are listed as percentages. Perceptol's formulation is very close to Kodak D-23 (Metol+Sodium Sulfite). I always considered Perceptol to be Ilford's version of Kodak's Microdol. Both are super fine grain developers.

"...now produces the same developer..."

The Moersch site doesn't have English information for all its products. Herewith a Babel Fish translation for Moersch's German description of EFG:

"Purifying grain developer

The composition of this developer corresponds to that of the Ilford Perceptol (specially fine grain film more developer). A renewed film calibration is not necessary, which admitted for Perceptol development times can are taken over."

For some reason, I have always labored under the impression that Ilford farmed-out the manufacture of at least some of their chemicals for the USA market to local manufacturers like Clayton.

If this is true, any discontinued materials should be available directly from the actual (local)manufacturer. Perhaps an e-mail or telephone call to Lowell Huff might be beneficial.

http://www.claytonchem.com/contactus.htm

To save some of us a lot of time can anybody give us a formula (or percieved formula) for Perceptol. Perceptol is a superb film developer and many of us will miss it if the formula is allowed to dissappear from the planet. I don't use it all the time, but it's nice to know it's there.