Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apps for Large Format

Alan Brock

Apps for Large Format

I posted a video showing some of the apps I use for large format photography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swxX_nn4VzU

I use three of them on every shot: Holders, Reciprocity Timer, and Mark II Artist's Viewfinder. I carry no notes in the field, so the Holders app is literally all I have to keep track of film and exposure. If my iPhone ever takes a swim I'm in big trouble.

Reciprocity Timer I've found to be extremely accurate. It matches manufacturer's recommendations for all the Fuji films I've tried. It has also been spot on for Kodak Ektar 100 which is quite impressive considering Kodak doesn't produce reciprocity info for this film. Also handy to have for Ilford Delta 100 because Ilford only produces their data in graph form without specific numbers. It's also handy to have for bellows and filter compensation, but I've found its greatest benefit is helping meter using the Zone System. I struggled for a while trying to figure out how to best meter for the ZS with my Sekonic 558, and here is what I've come up with. Let's say I meter the white water of a waterfall. I'll store this number in my meter and also input the number into the app. The meter's reading is my Zone V number. I usually place the water in Zone VIII so I'll use the app's "compensation" slider to add 3 stops. Next, I'll go back over the scene with my meter making sure all areas I want data in are no greater than 5 stops away from my original reading (5 stops away would be Zone III). I know this can be done in the meter, but the app helps keep everything clearer, especially when using a filter.

Last, the Viewfinder app was a complete game-changer for me. I can examine a scene so much better when I see it on a screen. This has allowed me to make better and faster compositions when scouting.

I know most of these apps have been mentioned before, but I thought it may be useful for some people to see them in use. Hope you enjoy.

Re: Apps for Large Format

Wow, that viewfinder app is nearly $25! That's a bit much on something you can't really try out. Can you tell if it'd work with a Wisner 45 tech field with some Fujinon lenses? 65mm, 90mm, 210mm?
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Your not even using some of the best parts of the reciprocity timer app. The notes feature of it hands down beats the holder app.

I tried the holder app a few years back and found it extremely clunky. Also it took the developer over 2 years before they released an update which is a hor ably long time and shows that the developer really does not care about the app. I also don't think a app is needed to know if your film holders are loaded and what film they contain. I know my holders have film because I keep them each in a ziplock back when loaded and the indicator tap on the holder shows if it's exposed. A piece of painters tape and a sharpie are used to indicate what type of film is in it.

I'm guessing you have not done the in app upgrade for the reciprocity timer. It can automatically create a note when the exposure timer ends and t it puts all the exposure info you have entered into the note. You can then add any more info you may want like holder number, I even put in zone system development adjustments I want to use when shooting B&W. You can also add a photo taken with the phone and even add marks to the photo for where you did your zone exposure readings.

I then will use the app to export the notes to pdf files that I print and keep that with my developed negative.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I use the voice recorder on my iPhone. I use it to record the normal stuff, and developing change, which holder it is, and what the subject is along with anything to watch out for. I hate having to type or dictate something and then correct, so I just speak and give it a title, usually the holder number and where I am. I tried using Holders too and it wasn't as happy with it.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

2 Bit Hack

I bought this thing called a Galaxy S3 a couple years ago. It's a phone. It does other things too but every time I try it something goes wrong. I just found the stop watch on the damn thing last night. Convenient. I was shooting a calcite crystal last night. Got a normal metering from the D800e (6 sec @ f22). Lets see bellows length-add 2 stops, 24 sec @ f22, adjust aperture to f32, 48 sec @ f32, adjust aperture to f45, 96 sec @ f45, adjust to f64, 192 sec @ f64.......................oops I may have underexposed the neg by a quarter stop. Hmmm reciprocity correction...................crap, I forgot!

You see all the gadgets in the world cannot fix stupidity.
    Regards

Marty

Alan Brock

Quote Originally Posted by alavergh View Post
    Wow, that viewfinder app is nearly $25! That's a bit much on something you can't really try out. Can you tell if it'd work with a Wisner 45 tech field with some Fujinon lenses? 65mm, 90mm, 210mm?
    Should work just fine. With the 65mm and 90mm lenses you'll need a wide angle adapter lens for the iPhone because those 2 focal lengths are wider than the native iPhone camera. I will agree that is VERY expensive for an app; I debated for several months on whether or not to get it. However, it has completely changed the way I shoot. It's honestly some of the best money I've spent in large format.

Quote Originally Posted by alavergh View Post
    I use the voice recorder on my iPhone. I use it to record the normal stuff, and developing change, which holder it is, and what the subject is along with anything to watch out for. I hate having to type or dictate something and then correct, so I just speak and give it a title, usually the holder number and where I am. I tried using Holders too and it wasn't as happy with it.
    The reciprocity timer app has a audio record feature (available with the in app upgrade) this would allow you to attach your audio notes to the exposure calculation that you do in the app.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I've been using the previous version of that viewfinder app called Viewfinder Pro for a few years, and it's excellent. It wasn't so expensive originally, but I'd pay $25 for it. Alpa makes an iPhone mount particularly for use with this software.

I am using an app called Film Crop Assistant. I'm pretty sure an LFF'er makes it. It's free and works great. You select you camera type and lens type. It also does bellow factor calculation, and it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    I am using an app called Film Crop Assistant. I'm pretty sure an LFF'er makes it. It's free and works great. You select you camera type and lens type. It also does bellow factor calculation, and it's free.
    I'm guessing this is an android app because it does not show up when I search the Apple App Store.

When posting apps on this thread be sure to specify the platform they fun on.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

Ansel Adams