Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Pittsburgh...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greetings from Pittsburgh...

I've been on APUG for about five years, and as reluctant as I am to start over establishing myself in another online community, I find myself doing more and more large format. And so this looks like a good and relevant one to join. A friendly one too. In fact, I'd go as far as to suggest that large format folk are more laid back than 35mm folk. As such, I'm hopeful that the switch from 35mm to large format will calm my nerves. Actually, I'll never give up 35mm entirely, but I'm discovering that going through the motions of making a large format image is quite therapeutic.

Anyway... Hello!

Re: Greetings from Pittsburgh...

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a member of APUG as are some of our members. Don't worry about establishing yourself. You will fit right in. Most of us shoot more than one format including digital. All formats have their place.

Alan

Nothing against APUG but since you shoot large format, this is the place to be.

Thanks. It's a lot of the same crowd I'm noticing, so already it's familiar. I've been working with a Crown Graphic that was gifted to me, making negatives with ortho litho film and contact printing them. I've made some dry plates also.

Also, I have an 8x10 with Mr. Ritter at the moment. When that finds it's way back to me, I have some Polaroid 8x10 hardware here that I'm eager to fire up.

You probably know StoneNYC from APUG. He just bought a Chamonix 8x10. I own a Wehman 8x10 and a Crown Graphic. The Ritter is also said to be a fine camera. You are going to have a lot of fun shooting 8x10!

Les

Welcome to LF mayhem...urr, I mean forum. Been to Pitt in another lifetime....when it looked like Shanghai.

Les

There are a bunch of us that hang out on multiple forums (fora?). Hi!
    When I get back to western PA, I'll let you know - maybe we can go slowly shoot Pgh.

Welcome to the LF forum! I too, am also a member over at apug, but this is my main hangout. What LF format are you using?

That would be great, Bethe. Let me know. I remember developing some 35mm color for you a while back...

Andrew, details above. Mostly 4x5 at the moment.

Hey, I'm in pittsburgh as well. It's nice to hear about your conversion to real photography. Ha Ha, just kidding. Maybe we can shoot something around the city? There are some groups of photogs and a good community type darkroom at Pittsburgh Filmmakers. oh yeah!!

Thanks tree/Vincent. That might be fun. I haven't done anything with the Filmmakers. They have good resources, but I have everything I need at home right now. I know they occasionally offer workshops, and if one in wet plate were to come up again, I think I'd be there. Keep in touch.