Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catsills?

Catsills?

I am heading to the Catskills for a week next week at an artist residency at the Catwalk Institute. I am part of a collaboration working on a documentary project in Pittsfield Mass. and while the week is very full, I will have some down time. I am not at all familiar with the area and any close by suggestions would be appreciated. Catwalk is at 4 Rte 385 Catskill, NY for a geographic reference. I have never been in this part of the country before.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Catsills?

Any of the Hudson River Estates (there must be over a dozen), Old Rhinebeck Areodrome, West Point & Bear Mountain, and Storm King Art Center come to mind (not all are tripod friendly).

Kirk: Just south of Catskill is Saugerties, N.Y., and there is a very nice lighthouse located on a nature trail, right on the Hudson river. I am not a lighthouse photographer, but I did a few nice photographs off the trail. It is an easy walk from the car parking lot. Google Saugerties lighthouse for directions. Check out Bill Clifts book on the Hudson for some other ideas of places.
    And have a great time.
    Arthur

Bob mentions Storm King Art Center...

I haven't been there, but I know some of the work there. I would think that should be a very fertile ground for some personal work and reflection time. I recommend looking up this video for a documentary on Andy Goldsworthy:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307385/

Quite an inspirational video, and there is a bit of a photography angle to it as well (he photographs his installations, especially since some are ephemeral in nature).

Going to Storm King has been high on my list to do, but I haven't had the chance yet.

---Michael
    Last edited by Michael Mutmansky; 15-Aug-2014 at 14:39.

A lot of private land there (inaccessible inside) but the best time is, of course, the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I am heading to the Catskills for a week next week at an artist residency at the Catwalk Institute. I am part of a collaboration working on a documentary project in Pittsfield Mass. and while the week is very full, I will have some down time. I am not at all familiar with the area and any close by suggestions would be appreciated. Catwalk is at 4 Rte 385 Catskill, NY for a geographic reference. I have never been in this part of the country before.
    Catskill, despite the name, is on the Hudson River, and not actually in the Catskill Mountains (the mountains aren't too far away but they aren't exactly right there either). I know the area pretty well, and might be inclined to play tour guide if the timing is right (PM me if interested - a phone call might be good at any rate just to narrow down the best places for you). Hudson, NY, which is directly across the river is an interesting revitalized art town with some interesting architecture. Catskill itself has some interesting architecture too. There are some reasonably accessible river side shooting spots on both sides of the river. The best views in/of the mountains tend to be atop the mountains themselves which is a fair commitment of time and energy; but there are a few roadside scenic spots. You might also consider spending time that the Center for Photography at Woodstock. I can introduce you to the director as I teach there on occasion - you would probably enjoy meeting him.

Looks like next week's weather looks conducive to morning fog, which will happen on the Hudson River, and in the hollows and ponds in the mountains. If you don't mind an early start to the day, there should be a lot of good atmosphere going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    Bob mentions Storm King Art Center...

I haven't been there, but I know some of the work there. I would think that should be a very fertile ground for some personal work and reflection time. I recommend looking up this video for a documentary on Andy Goldsworthy:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307385/

Storm King is very restrictive about photography. Many of the artists on display there have a "no photography" clause in their contract. Anyone who goes there with a tripod and a big camera will get hassled. It's a beautiful place and can be a full day destination. But it is also almost 1.5 hour driving time from Catskill.

Quite an inspirational video, and there is a bit of a photography angle to it as well (he photographs his installations, especially since some are ephemeral in nature).

Going to Storm King has been high on my list to do, but I haven't had the chance yet.

---Michael

Oh. I just thought of this, but I can also probably get you a private tour of the Vanderbilt Mansion or the FDR home if you are with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    ...I have never been in this part of the country before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Catskill, despite the name, is on the Hudson River, and not actually in the Catskill Mountains (the mountains aren't too far away but they aren't exactly right there either)...
    Since Kirk has never been in this part of the country before, he should be made aware that things called "mountains" in the northeastern US don't really resemble "mountains" in the western US. He might find these new landforms visually interesting, but could perhaps instead react as though they're mere foliage-covered "foothills." I make this observation as someone who was born and raised in the northeast, has lived in the west for 36 years and is planning to move back to those northeast "mountains" soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    ...interesting architecture. Catskill itself has some interesting architecture too...
    I'm betting it's the architecture you and others mentioned that will capture Kirk's attention. I hope he enjoys his explorations.