Thread: Questions regarding to Shen-Hao accessories

Questions regarding to Shen-Hao accessories

I decided to go for the new Shen-Hao 4x5 for its more movement and longer bellow, and I am waiting for its arrival from Badger. Thanks everyone for the recommendation. Now I have some questions for it:

(1) People noted its darker view glass, but the new Beattie Intenscreen is too expensive for me. Is it possible to use screens from other 4x5 camera on Shen-Hao? Any good screen I should look for?

(2) I assume the Shen-Hao screen does not have 6x9, 6x7 marks. If I want to use a roll film back later, how do I get the correct frame in general?

(3) As a start up, I got a cheap 135mm Symmar-S lens from KEH, but it's with a Synchro- compur shutter. Yes, it's old single coated, but only $199 and I prefer 40mm focus range on small films. The bigger concern is that the image circle is only 190mm. Is that enough for normal camera movement?

(4) Is Bogen 3021/3030 enough for my set up? 3021 (same as black 3221) is rated 13lbs. The 3030 head is about 2.5lbs already. So it gives me only 10lbs for the camera and lens. I did notice conflict reports here about the rigidity of this tripod selection for 4x5, but I hope to see if there is any one ever attached a Shen-Hao on this set up.

(5) Any suggestion for a carrying case for the whole sep up?

Thanks a lot1

I think "normal camera movements" is a fairly subjective phrase. "Normal" depends on what you're shooting, and what your style/"vision" is. An image circle of only 190mm is tight for 4x5, but you might find it sufficient. Best way to know is to go out and make some photographs. ;-)

As to the tripod, I've had no problems with my 4x5 on a Bogen 3221. In fact, I also use it for my Tachihara double-extension 8x10 in the field. I'll sometimes kick one leg out for greater stability with the 8x10, but it has done well. Admittedly, I haven't tried it under very windy conditions, however.

For your 6x7/9/12 guidelines, I'd suggest putting that on a separate acetate sheet that you can place on the backside of the GG. Initially, you could assume the rollfilm gate was centered, and then make adjustments with a new acetate sheet as you experiment with a fixed target.

My Shen Hao has the corner marks for roll film formats. As to the ground glass I would use it before buying anything else. If you have not used a view camera before the glass will seem dark with any type of screen or enhancements. The Shen Hao glass may be slightly less bright compared to the Sinar I also use. The Shen Hao is very useable. When you first use a view camera you will be tempted to twist it into pretzel shapes for every shot, just because you can. The 190 mm image circle will not allow that. For most types of work you need very modest amounts of movement and the 190 mm may be fine. Use it for your type of work and see what you think. An inexpensive 210 mm lens will have a much larger image circle.

I use the Shen-Hao with the Bogen 3021 and it is reasonable solid, though I would like to get a better carbon fiber tripod in the future (when I can swing $700 to replace what I have that works).

I have no problems with the ground glass with most lenses. The 65mm f/8 is the only one that is real hard to see. I always use a darkcloth, so I am sure that helps. The 300mm f/9 Nikor is very bright, so it seems to be a problem mainly with the shorter lenses. My ground glass came with markings for roll film.

I can't offer specific help on a case, as that is very subjective based on your body. Bring it all to a shop and try out the cases offered. I use a small waist pack and a larger photopack depending on how much I want to carry.

The ground glass has marks for all but the 6 x 7, but a pencil marking works just fine. For most landscape type of work you should find the 190 image circle ok, but you may find rear tilt combined w/front and base tilts will solve some issues when pushing the limits.