3x 5x4 dark slides

15 inch rail

6 inch rail

fitted case

schneider 75mm Super Angulon F5.6

Schneider-Kreuznach center filter III multicoating

schneider 150mm Symmar-S F5.6

6x9 Mamya roll film back with toyo quick roll slider

I think it was impossible to make a decision about the various different cameras to choose so I thought you have to start somewhere and there was some suggestions about Toya's so I got this...

After working with 35mm canons manual /a digital EosD60 and my main form of work coming from my Bronica Sqai with interiors of homes mainly using 80 and 40mm lenses.

My response to attempting to work out the whole 5x4 system is this.

I needed a good play - I set up in my living room during an evening when it was dark outside with the 75mm lens and found it imposible to see through the back with a dark cloth but when i added lights around i could see enough. I played for a couple of days changing the lenses and also the sliding 6x9 back and soon it got easier viewing . The thought of loading film frightened me more than anything else. I started out loading 120 roll film to the slider back which i worked out . A few days later i got the courage to attempt to load film in the darkslides in my coat cupboard at night time. I managed it surprisingly and went out the following day to test it out shooting at an architectural building locally. It was an amazing feeling as the light was stunning sunshine and a bright blue sky looking at the ground glass screen was amazing and so clear so much different to viewing dark interiors. The film processed well and without polaroids my metering was bang on.

These were my findings with the whole set up as a novice to 5x4 and shooting on a regular basis from packing my kit to processing the film to returning home.

1.The 5x4 kit was shipped to me from London to Gothenburg/Sweden in a hardback case which is huge and takes up half my cupboard when the camera is on the monorail it doesn't even fit back in this huge box as the box is split into compartments. In my opinion the box is a waist of space and useless thats my first thoughts. This leaves me know way of transporting the camera on the rail. So as inconvenient as it is I got a huge Ikea bag and put foam in it with the 16inch rail and the camera mounted. I got a seperate medium sized loweprowe bag to put extra lens,normal bellows and darkslides in.

My thoughts here are what do people do to transport there kit? as I tried making the whole thing on location and it is a pain still to transport .

2. The day I shot was very strong blues around midday and normally i have skylight filters on my lenses that are screwed on to the lens. My question here is do you automatically put skylight filters on 5x4 lenses to protect them and also filter away excess blues? Will i get further vignetting with my Schneider-Kreuznach center filter III multicoating?

3. Focusing was somewhat not obvious I thought about the whole hyperfocal distance thing that i was used to and i thought maybe focus 1/3 into my scene and shoot f45 keeping both front and back parallel but i had to tilt the front a little to stop vignetting from my lens. Since I have been reading various posts and books and I am still not certain on how to focus..My question is if i focus on the near point and then focus on the furthest point-do i then move the camera to the middle/the difference between the 2 where the monorail has moved shoot at a small aperture f22-45 and everything will be sharp?

4. In Sweden in Gothenburg the city I am living the 5x4 is dead you cant even find a darkcloth or a darkslide holder you can just about buy a few films but none of the quickload .So if i make an order from abroad its best to ship as much at the same time which leads me to think I probably need a polaroid back and definatley need more film holders- i read about the Graflox 6 holder do people recommend this?Is it easy to fog the 2nd piece of film are you more vulnerable?Any advice on where to buy darkslides about 25/30 of them for a reasonable price? I am finding out it is very expensive 5x4 with all the add ons you need i realise i need another wider lens for my 6x9 back as a 75mm is not enough and probably need a 90mm lens also for architecture.I also looked into the quickload films fuji and kodak and the prices are so expensive especially from Sweden where Id have to import it aswell.I read all the posts and info about fuji and kodak systems and i hear so many complaints about the film not being flat or being jammed and using the dedicated holder to the film.Then the failure rate on Kodak is ridiculous so a fuji one is more suitable ..however who wants to invest money on the film or the loader when the results are awful so i have not considered jumping into the fire there.

5 .Post production I need to scan and will epson 4870 be useful for magazines and bigger I have had an epson 1240u for years using a flatbed adapter and the colour and detail is awful professionally speaking.Does anyone that does architectural work give scans from an Epson 4870 or any other scanner to their client/Architect or do they make sure they get a flextight or drumscan?

Anyway I have alot of questions which begins with the carrying/transporting.

I bought Steve Simmons book Using the view camera and Norman Mcgraphs Photographing Buildings inside out and am slowly going through them.

Anyway I am finding that you only discover the view camera by looking through it physically.

If anyone can give out advice I would appreciate it.

thanks

James

The skylight + UV filter with the 5x4lenses

"normally i have skylight filters on my lenses that are screwed on to the lens. My question here is do you automatically put skylight filters on 5x4 lenses to protect them and also filter away excess blues?"

For cameras which dangle from their necks, people often place filters on lenses for protection. Large format equipment usually resides in a case. Keeping in mind that large format lenses have both front and rear exposed, unless you are highly accident prone, there is no need for a protective filter. I just use the lens caps that ship with the lens.

a skylight filter is not just about protection but about reducing excess blues so this is what I am interested to know if i have a skylight filter on all the time will i get vignetting with my centre filter on that?

" if i have a skylight filter on all the time will i get vignetting with my centre filter on that?"

The center filter must mount directly to the lens to function properly. Any additional filter must be mounted to the front of the center filter.

I have a schneider 75mm Super Angulon F5.6

with a Schneider-Kreuznach center filter III multicoating

in the shop i bought the lens and filter Mr Cad - he couldnt tell me what filter ring goes on the Schneider-Kreuznach center filter III multicoating and apparently shneider couldnt either he says.

So I am now without any idea of what to do and all i know is that my image the other day would have looked better with a skylight filter on to reduce the blue on the image. I dont want to carry gels with me for such a simple thing.

Could anyone reccomend what to do that has the centre filter that i have as I would like to put a lee filter system on it aswell and i am majorly restricted for now...

The III filter is 67mm male thread and accepts 86mm screw-in filters

when you say it is 67mm thread but accepts 86mm

does this mean i need a67 addapter ring for the lee filter series or an 86?

you have confused me

can you put screw in filters of 67mm?

please explain again

thanks

"when you say it is 67mm thread but accepts 86mm

does this mean i need a67 addapter ring for the lee filter series or an 86?

you have confused me

can you put screw in filters of 67mm?

please explain again"

It means you screw an 86mm skylight filter into your center filter.

YOU DO NOT SCREW YOUR CENTER FILTER INTO A 67mm FILTER.

Are you positive that I need an 86mm with the Schneider-Kreuznach center filter III multicoating I only say this as Mr Cad spoke with Shneider about this filter and couldnt come up with an answer

on lee filters website it says i can get an 86 adapter ring so if this is true I can order it.

Sizes available

49mm

52mm

55mm

58mm

62mm

67mm

72mm

77mm

82mm

86mm

93mm

95mm

105mm

Rollei VI

Hasselblad (bayonet fitting)

50mm

60mm

70mm

Adaptor rings fit into the lens to accommodate the filter holder. Once the adaptor is in place the filter holder clips firmly to it using a smooth, quick-release, spring loaded mechanism.

Sturdily constructed with an aluminium screw thread, the adaptors are available in both standard and wide-angle configurations. Special sizes can be made to order.

The wide-angle adaptors are designed so that the filter is placed as close as possible to the front element of the camera lens, and should be used when vignetting is encountered with a standard adaptor ring.

" Mr Cad spoke with Shneider about this filter and couldnt come up with an answer"

Suggest to them that they read the center filter page in the latest Schneider Large Format lens brochure.

I doubt that he really looked or talked to anyone at Schneider. This is commonly available printed information from Schneider. The information is printed on the next to last page of the current brochure #10811. It is also in the older flyers and catalogs for the Super Angulon lenses.