Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Views of Georgia shot exclusively on 4x5" Velvia

Re: Views of Georgia shot exclusively on 4x5" Velvia

I have been shooting 4x5 Provia extensively for 2 years now. Just got another 60 sheets today. Much prefer that over color negs any day.

Of course I use a Jobo, so may be that helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Scanning slide film is extraordinarily harder then scanning negatives.

Getting proper exposure on slides is infinitely harder then on negative.

Processing slides with the very best of equipment, by the most experienced operators is by far more demanding then negative, and requires precise temp control, agitation, and timing (none of which, BTW, are possible with the taco method).

As you are by far more likely to have a better negative then a slide, that will scan better then a slide, i think you will find that for the most part, that awe of looking at a 4X5 slide is lost in the many black and white blotches which were once a dark puddle and bright clouds.

It is a fine thing to want to branch out, but you cannot use the taco method and be "diligent through all aspects of the image making process" at the same time.
    What a bunch of B.S.
    If you like transparency film, shoot it. I've been doing so for 15 yrs and I much prefer it over color neg. I own a light meter and a drum scanner.

Why aren't you presenting this to Fuji as a project if you are going to use their film only?

Going to include the Atlanta White House in the book?
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 8-Aug-2014 at 06:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Zndrson View Post
    I respect your position, and most likely you are 100% correct. This is why I'm giving the process several trial runs to see if it is a viable process. If not, then I will move on to other home developing options. Part of the fun of this project is experimenting to see what the most economical/stable methods are of bringing slides to life. I'm a believer in using what I have first, and then moving on to other options when the ones currently at my disposal are exhausted.

Developing slides using the taco method may indeed be a pipe dream. I'm not married to the idea, but I do want to make sure its unattainable before I completely rule it out.

I'll be able to make a decision within the next couple weeks.

Seems like you need to work these details out before you try to raise money through Kickstarter. To effectively raise money, you should demonstrate that you have your process dialed in, and show many quality photos that you have created successfully, and of the type that would be used in the book. You should go back to Kirk's post #2 and look at paragraph #2 - you need to be able to directly address the items he has posed to you.

I would also encourage you to think closely about how many total images you need in order to produce a high quality book. I have one published book where I produced new images for the publisher (as opposed to using images I already had made), and am pretty far along in along in producing images for another book I have been commissioned to produce. In both cases, for every 10 images that I shoot, I select one to submit to my editors. And for every 10 that I submit to my editors, one makes it into the book. There's more to a book than just having a bunch of high quality images. The book needs to have a logical flow. The images from one page to the next need to flow well in terms of content, color palette, and mood. There needs to be consistency but also variety. If the book will be printed with an offset printer, you may find some images just to convert well to the CMYK color space.

As has been pointed out, your Kickstarter page does not convey any level of color landscape expertise. You do not state the finished size of the book, which most people would want to know. Will the book have images on both sides of the pages, or just one side? Assuming you have photos on both sides of the 26 pages, in order to come up with 50 or so finished shots, you would possibly be shooting anywhere from 500 to 1,000 sheets of film. Then make allowances for bad exposures, boring shots, technical problems, and processing problems. Given that, I think your cost estimates are considerably off the mark.

Richard Johnson

So you want us to fund something we do ourselves? Will you fund my project in return?

Good, we can call it even!

As you can see, it is a tough crowd here. Good luck with your project. I have backed numerous photo and non photo projects. Most got funded, a few did not. I admire those who have the foresight and guts to proceed.

I been through Jawjuh -- a vast mad wasteland of stop and go traffic and speed traps between Tennessee and Florida (as I recall).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I would also encourage you to think closely about how many total images you need in order to produce a high quality book. I have one published book where I produced new images for the publisher (as opposed to using images I already had made), and am pretty far along in along in producing images for another book I have been commissioned to produce. In both cases, for every 10 images that I shoot, I select one to submit to my editors. And for every 10 that I submit to my editors, one makes it into the book. There's more to a book than just having a bunch of high quality images. The book needs to have a logical flow. The images from one page to the next need to flow well in terms of content, color palette, and mood. There needs to be consistency but also variety. If the book will be printed with an offset printer, you may find some images just to convert well to the CMYK color space.
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for the response. I'm producing a run of 40 books to be had as rewards, for friends and family, and offer for sale. In this case, I am my own editor. I do not intend to have these books shipped to stores across the nation or even east coast. This is very strictly a home grown project. The book is merely a physical goal to have at the end of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Seems like you need to work these details out before you try to raise money through Kickstarter. To effectively raise money, you should demonstrate that you have your process dialed in, and show many quality photos that you have created successfully, and of the type that would be used in the book. You should go back to Kirk's post #2 and look at paragraph #2 - you need to be able to directly address the items he has posed to you.
    In my response to Kirk I mentioned that I will be taking a trip beginning next Friday around the state in order to get a head start on the project and also serve as a test run in home developing the film. The images I make will be uploaded to Kickstarter as an update, and will cover the successes and failures experienced, as well as solutions.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I been through Jawjuh -- a vast mad wasteland of stop and go traffic and speed traps between Tennessee and Florida (as I recall).
    North Georgia is pretty nice, though the ride from Macon to Savannah is "are we there yet?" and "My gosh how much further can it be?" uh anywhere north of Gainsville is good
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"