Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct to Black and White

Direct to Black and White

Hi all,

I just wanna ask if does exists similar B&W Paper as Ilfochrome, you can expose it directly?

Thank for the answers

B&W enlarging papers, like Ilfochrome, are exposed in an enlarger. The only "direct" photo process, if I understand your question correctly, is Polaroid, which is available in sizes up to 8x10.

I use Ilford Multigrade IV RC DELUXE in film holders for homemade pinhole cameras. Is that what you mean? One day I'll learn to use and print real film!

Well, I would be more specific. I am right now in project to take pictures directly on photopaper. So, for Ilfochrome Classic paper which is color paper, the technique is calles "Direct-to-CIBA" printing (sometime called "Direct positive printing").

You are not going to use darkroom enlarger and do pictures from negastive. You process photopaper directly in processor to obtain correct picture (not reversed).

I love Black and white photography, it gives more suspense and it has its own charming, so I am looking for B&W photopaper which can be exposed directly.

Actually If you also know what is the speed of paper and its temperature for expose, I would appreciate it.

I hope I am more specific.

Peter, take a look at this Photonet thread: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004uhM

The speed for Ilfochrome in camera filtered heavy about 80ccY+60ccR is about 5 EV.
    The result is rather good for the low contrast paper (again, Peter!) and the contrast seems
    similar to medium contrast slide film. You'll get a mirrorred image, but as it is very sharp, you'll get easy a 1 gb scan from it. From that you can make a nice 8x10 feet lightjet print.

Jan, Finland.

It would involve some experimentation, but I guess you could try reversal processing of conventional B&W paper. This would involve developing the image normally, bleaching, an exposure to light or a chemical reversal, redeveloping, and then fixing and washing normally.

Otherwise, your best bet would be Polaroid.

Sorry Peter, I just missed the point. AFAIK there's no direct positive BW paper on the market, but there exists BW reversal developing kits. In theory these would behave as good for paper as they do for film. I have one in front of me ; Direct positive film developing outfit, Kodak TMAX 100, CAT number 8121188.

Yes, sorry, Peter. I was obviously suffering from a insufficiency of imagination when I responded earlier. As David and Jan point out, Kodak makes a reversal kit for B&W film, but it's fairly expensive ($36.50). You'd need to experiment to see how it would work with photographic paper (different dillutions, perhaps?).

Jan, you are absolutely right, cibachrome is very slow, as far as I know it is little bit less than 5EV, around 2-3 EV, picture is reversed, but that what picture makes very unique. Color balancing and temperature balancing is very complicated, I already have a tri color meter and whole color balancing and color compensating filter kit (all stuff is around 600 USD and it's used) but that what unique is about.

To have the experience of making one of a kind picture that what's all about. On top of that if I determine correct filtering, speed will go even more down, it can go up to 0.5 - 1 EV which you can imagine what would be the exposure time. But this supposed to be in my other forum question.

Still, I look forward from other enthusiasts about pros and cons of B&W reversal kit. I do not know anything about it, if somebody tried this, I would appreciate any technique or prefference.

Thank you everybody so far for you contributions.

Peter
    I have experienced photographers putting cibachrome paper into their large format cameras and sending it to us for processing, the print is then colourcorrected with gels at the exposing film time, works pretty , well , I believe the iso is extremely slow therefore some experimentation at your end is required