Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18x24 film holders?

18x24 film holders?

Does anyone have a source for 18x24 film holders? I'd be happy with either new or used but prefer to stay away from the wooden ones. I'm hoping to add this size to my collection of 8x10 holders... Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Isaac

www.homepage.mac.com/isaacc7

18x24 film holders?

I have never seen a film holder of this size, either wood or metal. Was this format used in the graphic arts industry ?
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

18x24 film holders?

Sorry i wasn't more specific, 18cm by 24cm film holders. I'm led to believe that it was the European "equivilent" to 8x10. It is a slightly different film size, but the outside dimensions of the holders are the same. It's very similar to 13x18 and 5x7, similar but different. In any case, I'd like to be able to use film in both formats, any ideas on where I could get some holders?

Isaac

18x24 film holders?

18x24 cm film size is the europian equvivalent of 8x10" or rather was, because I think it it very dificult to get film for
    nowadays even more so than 9x12 cm (4x5") or 13x18(5x7"). The holders are ease to buy on german E-bay
    http://foto.listings.ebay.de:80/Kameras-weitere_Grossbildformat_W0QQfromZR0QQlotrZ1QQsacategoryZ8277QQsocmdZListingItemListQQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsocustoverrideZ1

18x24 film holders?

I think I just read a msg from J&C to say they had some of those in... check their site.

18x24 film holders?

Well, J&C has all the other sizes, but they don't know where to get the 18x24. They do have the film, and it's a pretty good price, that's why I'm looking for the holders... I'll keep my eyes on the German Ebay, though I don't see any there now. Thanks for the ideas!

Isaac

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

18x24 film holders?

I'm one of the few people who use 18x24 - in an ancient plate camera. I got two plate holders with the camera, and found a third one on (surprise!) ebay USA!

The "modern" 18x24 film holders are quite rare. I assume they will be interchangable with 8x10" holders, but don't know that for certain. I think I know where to find one, but I'm keeping that for myself so that I can make a modern 8x10" back for my camera

18x24 film holders?

A French photographer, living like me not far from Germany, with whom I have exchanged about the purchase of a 8"x10" camera has recently acquired from Germany a pre-F-line Arca Swiss 8"x10" in a lot where cut film holders were 18x24cm, typical German style.

My understanding is that 18x24 cm holders (like 9x12 holders vs. 4"x5" holders) differ only from 8"x10" by the inside measurements.

Concerned by the supply of B&W 18x24cm film, this Frenchman has found everything he would need in Germany. And in France people have contacted Bergger who is able to supply B&W cut film in all sizes, provided that a minimum order is placed. Getting colour slide film in 18x24 is another story ; BTW and off-topic, 9x12 colour slide fim is still supported by Father Big Yellow but probably not by Comrade Green-San.

So as they say in Northern America, where they are all positive and optimistic : "Guys, want to continue to get your favourite stuff ? Simply ask for, if there is a market, there will be a supplier ;-);-)

The old story about hen and eggs revisited : "who came first" will be now : "hen and eggs : which will support which for the future of the species ??" ;-);-)

18x24 film holders?

Hello Isaac,

I think the best way to get some is ebay (Germany = ebay.de) try category (Kategorie) Foto and subcategory Grossformat (= large format). Filmholder 18x24 are being offered quite often for a lower price than 8x10. I work with 8x10 but have 18x24 too, made bey Fidelity. Yes they do have the same size as 8x10 only the inner size is different (like 4x5 vs. 9x12)

Greetings from Bonn

Norbert

18x24 film holders?

Foto J Lehmann in Germany seems to have these for 10euro piece.
    http://www.foto-lehmann.de/frauswahlliste.htm

I have myself one 18x24 Fidelity, though I've never had any need for it.