Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall tripods

Tall tripods

I'm thinking about getting a really tall tripod for those times I need a higher viewpoint on a subject (happens with some regularity). I'm looking at the Gitzo and Bogen offerings. My questions are:
    <ol><li> Will the extra bracing on the Bogen make any difference in stability or is that just to keep the legs spaced evenly? <li> I assume that heavier is better for this (I won't be walking too far with this thing), but will 5 lbs make that much difference? Is the CF tripod apt to be too light?</ol>

I like the build quality of the Gitzos better (I'm using a 1325 now), but if great minds think the Bogen would work as well or better, I'll go for it. Also, if anyone knows of other tripods I should think about, let me know.

My camera is an Arca Swiss 4x5 F-line on a B1 ball head (about 9lbs together). I'll likely make the leap to 8x10 within the next couple of years, so want something that will work for a bigger camera, too. I have a small car (Corolla), so bolting a head on a big stepladder isn't really an option (a great idea from a prior post, though). And, no, I'm not buying a bigger car--even Gitzo's are cheaper than cars.

I appreciate any advice.

Relevant specs and photos:

<table border=1 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0 >
    <tr>
    <th width=70>Model</th>
    <th width=70>Max load</th>
    <th width=70>Max height</th>
    <th width=125 >Max height w/Column</th>
    <th width=75>Min height</th>
    <th width=75>Closed length</th>
    <th width=75>Weight</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th colspan=8>Gitzo</th>

</tr>
    <tr >
    <td>G1504</td>
    <td>33.1 lbs&nbsp;</td>
    <td>99.6 in&nbsp;</td>
    <td >N/A&nbsp;</td>
    <td>6.9 in&nbsp;</td>
    <td>31.1 in&nbsp;</td>
    <td>12.3 lbs&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>G1548GT</td>
    <td>33 lbs&nbsp;</td>
    <td>91.3 in&nbsp;</td>
    <td>N/A&nbsp;</td>
    <td>6.7 in&nbsp;</td>
    <td>27.2 in&nbsp;</td>
    <td>8.2 lbs&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <th colspan=8>Bogen</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>3058/3258</td>
    <td>44.1 lbs&nbsp;</td>
    <td>95.3 in&nbsp;</td>
    <td>105.2 inches&nbsp;</td>
    <td>17.4 in</td>
    <td>41.4 in&nbsp;</td>
    <td>17.5 lbs&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>

</table>

<table><tr><td width="300">

Gitzo (the geared column is an add-on)
    </td>
    <td>

Bogen
    </td></tr></table>

Tall tripods

A serious question. Will you be able to see through those veryyyyy tall tripod/camera assemblies without that stepladder that won't fit your car? I too was considering a mongo tripod till I realized that the bigger the camera, the more often I was likely to be using it at a more "moderate" height.

Best,

C

Octogenarian

Tall tripods

Hi Tom,

Take a look at the Bogen/Manfrotto Model 475. It is available in silver, or black finish. It fits the parameters you mention. It is one of the newer models. The leg braces are fully adjustable and very functional. It has a cranked center column, is not overly heavy, and it will easily support the weight of your camera. I use my 475 to support a 15 pound 8x10 camera, and it is solid as a rock. Nice tripod. Good value for around $200.

Tall tripods

I have the earlier metal 504 Gitzo and love it, especially for architecture, portraits, or whenever you need to shoot down onto something. I carry a short ladder with me and it works very nicely. But I will also use it at waist level with smaller format cameras - it is rock steady, and if I don't have to carry it far, I rather use it than anything else. I have a Majestic geared head with an RRS Arca-Swiss receiver semi-permanently mounted (paid $350 for tripod and head on eBay, plus $100 for the RRS adapter). I also have a metal 326 (tallest 1300 series) with an Arca B2 head for travel, or when I do want to "walk around". The nice thing about these old-school metal 4-5 multi-section tripods is that you don't have to fully extend the legs to get to eye-level, plus the mass, which makes for a rock steady base for your normal photography.

If I was a backpacker I'd spring for CF but I'd also get a Toho. I appreciate the lightness of my Arca, but I think it is more about the Arca's design being "less is more" than wild backpacker weight reduction compromises (like the Gowland or Toho.)

Back when I was a photo assistant (20 years...) I worked with the largest Bogens - they didn't compare - they felt loosey-goosey. I guess the other option is to spring for a Ries, but... given that you have that slick black, 1980s minimalist Arca, a Gitzo would just "look" better underneath it ;-)

Tall tripods

Why not skip the tripod alltogether and mount the ball head directly on a step ladder?? you can do all your work at the hieght you choose and simply step off the ladder to trigger the shutter.

Just a thought . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tall tripods

I've been thinking about a really tall tripod for a while now - specifically for being able to shoot over the top of those 8-10 fences which seem to obscure everything worth shooting in most cities. The 1548GT has been at the top of my list for a while now - I figure if you are going to be lugging a small ladder as well as a lrge backpack full of gear around, 10 pounds or so difference in the weight of the tripod one will also be hanging onto somewhere may be very significant. I also use a 1325 and a while ago bought a CF center column for it which adds about 15 inches - I have found the extra 15 inches to be a great help for shooting urban landscapes.

Tall tripods

Better yet, get a surplus apple picker from your local utillity company and stick a ball head on the basket!;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Tall tripods

The Linhof Heavy Duty Pro 003323 will go up even higher. But it weighs considerably more.

Tall tripods

I have an old Gitzo 5 series, got it off Ebay for $300. It must weigh twice what my 8x10 (18lbs) does, and goes taller than most step ladders (apx. 12-15 feet). I really like it not because of the height it can achieve, but for how incredibly solid it is. I have only needed the max height once, but have used it's great mass numbers of times with a big camera in the wind. Just out of curiosity, how are you going to reach the top of the tripod with out a ladder? You could drive your car under it, then stand on it's roof (just an idea).

Tall tripods

To get to the top of the tripod when fully extended (about 8ft plus another foot for the camera) I have room to carry a 3-4 ft step ladder in the trunk of my car. I'm 5'11" so I figure that will get me up where I need to be. I don't have room for an 8 ft ladder, but do have room, for a smaller one to stand on to use the 8ft collapsible tripod.