Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: A footwear thread for landscapers (running shoes vs. hiking boots?)

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Re: A footwear thread for landscapers (running shoes vs. hiking boots?)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Hi Bob,

.... Keep an eye out for the book I am currently working on. It covers a much smaller geographic area, but you are likely to be familiar with it since you are from West Milford, NJ. I'm a little more than 1/2 done with the photography, and I think the photography will be more compelling than my earlier books. But I think my publisher probably won't release it until September 2015.

yaaay, can't wait!
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

I really like the feel of Saucony. I tend to use their trail running shoe with vibram tread.

If someone tried to walk at night in Arizona or New Mexico without a light on during dark nights, you could track their progress by listening to their screams as they get bit by rattlesnakes every 100 yards. You'll almost never see rattlers during day hikes, but they are very active at night. I've stepped over several giant "old battery cables....and ....strange stick in the path..." in my early years only to hear that heartstopping buzzing mid-way over the top of what turned out to be a rattlesnake.
    In the Southwest it's very stupid to go traipsing around at night without a light, at least when there is no bright moon, on confined trails. Some of my co-workers even accidentally stepped over a few on the sidewalk at our NM communication site on White Sands. They didn't expect them to be laying right across the path. Snake shot, gaiters, and all that junk aren't needed if you use common sense.

Yet another regional difference. We have a healthy population of timber rattlesnakes. They come out during the day to sun themselves and warm up. And den up under a solar heated boulder to stay warm at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post

Quick, tell us what was on your feet on your last field trip, and why?
    August 1 and 2, 2014 (an overnight trip) was my last field trip. My footwear was Vasque Juxt, a low-top, lightweight hiking shoe. My pack weighed about 40 pounds (had a 4 by 5 field camera, 3 film holders, a Nikon F, and a tripod, plus food and overnight gear, etc.) The terrain was about 2/3 trail and 1/3 cross-country travel on non-technical mountain slopes, over about 25 miles up to about 11K feet. With two river crossings and 6 hours of rain, my feet were wet most of the first day.

I usually go with as light a boot I can get away with, but I may be a little unusual in that I have double-jointed ankles, so have never sprained an ankle. But I weigh 135 pounds, so am sensitive to pack weight and pay a little more attention to this than shoes.

PS -- the black trail runners are made by New Balance. Vaughn
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

i wear sandles 90%+ of the non winter time.........world wide.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Interesting discussion. I've switched from the old heavy leather boots (when carrying a 50-55lb pack) to lightweight Keen boots (with a 25lb pack). I haven't noticed any ankle support issues, though I haven't been in a possible sprained ankle situation. Snakes not an issue where I go.

When you consider how many times you lift a foot with an extra .5-.75lbs of shoe, it adds up.