Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Budget $1500.00, KEH

Les

Re: Budget $1500.00, KEH

Normally it means that the camera accepts 5"x7" negatives. If it's a 5x7 lens, it means that it accommodates image circle that's required for a 5x7 camera. However, it's up to you to put the dots together and determine whether the lens coverage only barely covers the 5x7 or whether it covers all the camera adjustments. Much to do with what sorts of needs you'll have.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Compact Diss View Post
    What does the 5x7 mean in the description?
    I don't know what the image circle on the Geronar is but I'm sure it covers 5x7 to some extent. It was designed for 4x5 however.

A 210 lens would be an excellent choice for you to start with. I would look for an f/5.6 example in a Copal shutter. Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, Fuji, and Caltar are all similar in quality. Let price and condition be your guide as to which to buy. On Ebay expect to pay $150.00 to $200.00 for a nice clean example. The Geronar was considered a "student" lens. It was cheaper in original price, slightly slower, and had a smaller image circle. The plus side to the Geronars is that they are small and lightweight for backpacking. Lately I have seen some Geronars go for less than $100.00 on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Compact Diss View Post
    What does the 5x7 mean in the description?
    It means it will cover the 5x7 format.
    It also means that on smaller formats, like 4x5, plenty of coverage is assured should you need to use camera movements.

Richard Johnson

It means that it will cover the image area of a 5x7 camera. When used on a 4x5 camera it means that you can make generous movements and not run out of image circle. That's a good thing. If your lens did not cover the image area it would vignette at the corners. 210 will feel just a bit longer than a "normal" but it's hardly a telephoto, it's a great general purpose lens and great for still-life and portraits.

One thing to look at now that you have the camera is the maximum length of the camera with the bellows fully extended. Let's just say that it measures 270mm from the ground glass to the lens board. That would basically mean that the longest lens you can use at infinity is a 270mm. If you want to shoot true macros at 1/1 you will need a 135mm or shorter.

It also works the other way. You may not be able to push the standards (camera ends) together enough to use a 90mm lens without recessing the lens into the camera. You can sometimes fix this issue with a recessed lens board.

I appreciate all of the patience shown by members on this forum, certainly not common among the halls of the internet. Just wish KEH had knowledge of the 5x7 when I stopped the shipment. I appreciate all the insight and will go with the suggestions, right now I am going offline to read the Simmons book, which I should be concentrating on rather than scanning eBay...

Thanks again!

Joe