Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget $1500.00, KEH

Budget $1500.00, KEH

Looking for a LF, and a lens. What do you buy?

Re: Budget $1500.00, KEH

You may want to be a bit less impossibly vague. What do you like to shoot? Do you shoot wide? Normal? Long? Also, I won't be a dick and tell you to use the search function, because the search function doesn't work so well. But do try digging through the archives, read up a bit, etc. Google custom search of the forum URL also helps a lot.

The problem with what you've asked is that we don't really have anything to go on because we don't really know anything about you, and it's a very personal choice. My suggestion is to do research - dive into it headlong and really immerse yourself. You can answer your question better than we can.

you should also firm up on what size format you're interested in................your budget can buy a lot of gear

this can potentially be really complex and they're a lot of pitfalls, it's way different to say, 35mm

andrew

I know you stated that you wanted to buy a camera and a lens. But what are you going to do with the exposed negatives? Should your budget also include either an enlarger or a scanner and printer?

What do I buy? The last lens purchased was an Ektar from the 1940s for 8x10 or smaller view cameras. The last camera (except for impractical relics) was a baby Speed Graphic. The latter might be interesting for someone experimenting with smaller tintypes if they could only find plate holders for it. However, what I buy is not useful information for anyone else. There are many people on this forum who have valuable information on large format photography and alternate processes, and are willing to share it with others who who seek specific information. After 60+ years of dabbling in photography, I still learn much from this and other forums. Also, google is the researcher's best friend. I use it daily. The right books are another great source of information, and often more convenient than the internet. As for KEH, I've bought only trifles from them. Most customers seem satisfied and even enthusiastic about them.

Also, where are you going to be shooting? Outside? In a studio? Back packing? Will you require lighting or rely on natural light?
    I'm going to take a chance and presume you just want something to get started with, that you haven't committed to a particular subject or specialty.
    OK.
    For used gear:
    Calumet monorails start at around $150-$200 incl. a hard case
    Full size Tilt-all Tripod. around $100
    210mm lens from any of the big makes(Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon) $200
    Yellow, Yellow-Green, maybe a Red for filters if you'll be shooting B&W, or similar assortment for color, around $60
    Fuji loupe, $40 (I'm guessing)
    Assorted cable releases $10 probably less.
    Dark Cloth $10 for materials to make your own, OR someone posted that Target has black out curtains on sale at a similar price, OR a black t-shirt you may already own.
    $620 for a good kit you can sell if you decide LF's not for you, or build on when your subject matter is more focused.

I don't think Keh sells dark room stuff anymore (I could be wrong) so check your local Craig's list for used:
    Basic Omega or Beseler 4x5 enlarger $150 (but sometimes free for the taking)
    Schneider Companon, Rodenstock or Nikor enlarging lens $150
    Trays, maybe $10
    Bestwell focuser $10
    Ganz Speed-Ez-L(?) $10
    Gralab timer $40
    Safelight $10
    Graduate cylinder $5
    Swizzle sticks for mixing chemicals, gratis if you ask the bar tender nicely at a Tiki bar---Asian mixed drinks in tall glasses require longer swizzle sticks that work better. Don't ask at Martini bars.
    Containers---free, just recycle your old brown plastic Isopropyl and Hydrogen peroxide bottles, or ask you pharmacist.
    Some clothes line and clothes pins, new at todays prices $10 (ouch!)
    Blotter book, new, $20(ouch again!)
    So add $405.00 tops for a basic B&W wet dark room, but usually all this stuff will be included in with the modest price of the enlarger so likely more like $150-200
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Compact Diss View Post
    Looking for a LF, and a lens. What do you buy?
    Just a suggestion . . . Go to eBay into the film camera section and filter for just Large Format cameras and gear. Whenever you run across a camera type that interests you, Google it for it's specifications and operator reviews. Then you can go to the photo posting sites like Flickr, Photosig, Photo.net, etc and filter for images that where made using that camera and whatever lens the operator chose to use. Eventually you will find yourself going down a certain path because of the knowledge you have accumulated. Have fun.

I bought my first view camera through eBay, about 9 years ago. That was a complete outfit for about $120 as I recall. I bought my last view camera through eBay several months ago. $99 w/free shipping included. You can't beat the prices. But it does help to know what you're getting into beforehand. You came to the right place for asking questions about cameras.

Don't buy a camera or a lens. Buy a book and read it so you'll understand what you're getting into and what your options are. People here often recommend Steve Simmons' Using the View Camera, Leslie Strobel's View Camera Technique, and Ansel Adams' Camera and Lens. All can be found at reasonable prices through, in alphabetical order, abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, ...

Compact: Welcome to the LF World.

Lots of good advice here. I agree with the recommendation to read first.

I started out with a really minimal kit built around a very beat-up Speed Graphic and some lens. The other bits were equally low-end and as-found. I used X-ay film befor it was trendy because I worked in a hospital and developed a few sheets each week in the X-Ray darkroom.

Basically, my advice is: First read some . . .there are good books out ther and there is a recent thread here on this topic. Then get into some gear low and simple. Use this shooting kit a while, and move up to more sophisticated equipment and techniques as you develop as a photographer.

Let us know what you do . . .and ask any question you want.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Get the Ikeda Anba ($500) or cherry Wista ($700), then the Ilex 90mm ($150), and a relatively late 135mm or 150mm ($200) and similar 210mm ($250). That leaves $200 for six holders, a pair of reading glasses and a yard sale tripod. With that kit you can shoot anything.