Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could take just one workshop...

walbergb

If you could take just one workshop...

If you could take just one workshop on printing b&w, which one would you choose?

I ask because I would like to improve my printing skills. It's hard to improve when you only have yourself to model after. Furthermore, it's always a balancing act to spend a couple of thousand of dollars on materials and equipment or the next workshop. I would call myself an average printer, but I would like to get better--make my prints stand out like they should. I realized that means revisiting the entire picture-taking and printing process, and I'm prepared to do that. I have posted this question in the LF forum because I suspect/assume that LF would be the format of choice for such a workshop. Also, because I haven't seen any threads on this topic.

I've been looking at John Sexton's and Bruce Barnbaum's workshops. That should give you an idea of what I'm looking for. I live in central Canada and would prefer a workshop located in Canada; not because of distance (I anticipate travelling great distances), but out of good old-fashion Canadian pride and supporting Canadian artists.

Re: If you could take just one workshop...

Steve Sherman is giving a workshop this summer in Montanna .. IMHO Steve is one of the worlds best split contrast printers.. I also have hosted workshops here in Toronto and Steve was an excellent teacher for our classes. He is very patient, very thoughtful, demonstrates well . I think this workshop at the Formulary is the one that I would choose if wanting to learn how to make expressive prints.

Without question Steve Sherman.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Forget the pride and go see John Sexton.

In addition to upping your skills with a workshop and practice, I think visiting museums with B&W photography is super important. You get to see first hand some very well regarded artist's work that you would not get to see otherwise.

I have not been to a printing workshop, but I did go to Steve's pyro workshop, and his darkroom area is full of very well made silver prints, so that's a safe bet. I do not have personal experience with the other teachers mentioned.

My most enjoyable workshop was the long weekend with Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee in Bucks County, Pa. Develop by inspection and print by contact.
    The best about printing was a week with George Tice at the Maine Workshop in Rockport.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    ...I think visiting museums with B&W photography is super important. You get to see first hand some very well regarded artist's work that you would not get to see otherwise...
    No longer the case. Previously true when museums used appropriate light levels on exhibited photographs, but now the norm is "available darkness."

I would love to attend one of Sexton's workshops...
    Robert Oliver

I think it's better to take a semester long course with a good local instructor, printing your own work. Some workshops are just lectures/demonstration, which I would find boring.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Still the case Sal. I visit museums for photography shows regularly all over the country. Its till overwhelmingly the case in the large majority of shows except some vintage offerings and frankly I don't mind the dim ones. I just get close and let my eyes adjust-still worth seeing.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"