Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Researching Field Cameras

Re: Researching Field Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Stoogley View Post
    Yea, he does want a folding camera.

Sounds like going with the adapter is the best path for the most versatility.
    All of which confirms what I was seeing, or rather not seeing, as I read about the various cameras.

I was budgeting around $700-1000US for a used item.
    Looking at the ShenHao, as suggested above, a new one can be had for just over $1000, and I found a new Wista 45 SW Rosewood for $1600.

As I'm just starting the process, each day brings more questions than answers at this point.

Thanks for all the wonderful insight!!
    Also check these out. http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html They turn up used on occasion too. I have never used one but Chamonix's are versatile, very light and said to be quite stable. They are really popular today.

I asked you which lenses you plan on using because I used to own a Tachihara. It had a bellows draw of 13" and could focus a 300mm at infinity but not close focus for portraits. Some 4x5 field cameras only have 12" of bellows draw which may or may not be fine for you. My Tachihara did not support a bag bellows but could use a 90mm on a flat board and a 65mm in a recessed board. Wider lenses than 65mm would not work. Used Tachi's are also in your budget.

If you like wood take a look at Chamonix, Shen Hao, Wista, Tachihara, and Zone Vl. For metal cameras look at Wista and Toyo.

Drew Wiley

Be careful with those Chinese generic lensboards. Some are downright useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Be careful with those Chinese generic lensboards. Some are downright useless.
    Good point. That's why I stick with jinfinance on eBay. His stuff is all very good and his service, considering the items come from China, is pretty good too.

RR

For a sturdier but heavier option, consider a Toyo 45AX, a metal field camera. They seem to be about $700 used. They are very rugged and easy to use. I use lenses from 90mm to 300mm with mine. They use 110mm toyo boards, but adapters are available for others, such as for the Linhof boards.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I think that i could be interesting tread if we together set base of lens boards "compatibility", of course using adapters. Not only field cameras but studio, too. For example Sinar board doesn't fit Century #2 field 8x10, even this camera opening is a bit bigger then 138x138mm (Sinar). Conley 8x10 has front standard opening smaller the dimension of Sinar board, there is no problem with studio cameras: Century #7, Century 2D. Later I will add 4 other cameras, I have to dig them from the boxes.
    Cheers, Voytek
    I like it

If you are going to shoot wide angle for architectural work a bag bellows is a wonderful thing to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Johnson View Post
    http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm makes a stripped ultralight Sinar 4x5 for just this. But it uses Sinar lensboards so it wouldn't be any good ;-p
    WOW! I didn't know Glennview was still in business!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Just been in the same position, I have a sinar p which I have lugged about on ocassions, and decided I need something more easily transported. After a lot of research I bought a Toyo 45A. This is a great field camera, weighs 6 pounds packs up really small and being metal can take a lot more abuse than a wooden camera. The camera came without accessories so I bought 4 lens boards from jin finance off e bay. Delivery took about a week to the UK and each board cost about £12. I just swap the lens onto whichever lensboard I,m going to use takes less than 60 seconds per lens so I don,t think having 2 cameras with different lens boards is any great problem works for me

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    WOW! I didn't know Glennview was still in business!
    He is, and he still keeps his site current. Glennview is my go-to for excellent custom and classic tech.

Ya can't have everything!