Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: apperture f22 ?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cote d'Azur France
    Posts
    80

    Re: apperture f22 ?

    thank you all for your comments, excuse my late response I have been on the road. Not sure if I am any in wiser - in fact. But I do now understand that f22 is not a mandatory go to f stop to get the best out of a lens So with any given lens how do you determine the best f stop or max stop before diffraction has a negative impact on the image?

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    140

    Re: apperture f22 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 12pmc View Post
    But I do now understand that f22 is not a mandatory go to f stop to get the best out of a lens So with any given lens how do you determine the best f stop or max stop before diffraction has a negative impact on the image?
    I use a DOF ap on my phone & do the calculations of what I need in sharp focus to help determine the "best" aperture.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: apperture f22 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 12pmc View Post
    thank you all for your comments, excuse my late response I have been on the road. Not sure if I am any in wiser - in fact. But I do now understand that f22 is not a mandatory go to f stop to get the best out of a lens So with any given lens how do you determine the best f stop or max stop before diffraction has a negative impact on the image?
    There is no better short answer than "it depends."

    What it depends on is the image quality you want in the final print and on how much you will enlarge the negative to make the final print. It also depends on what is important in the image.

    One point that people here -- me included -- rarely mention is that when it comes to pleasing viewers sharpness isn't all that important. The last time I saw Mr. Galli I showed him a shot I'd taken of Mono Lake, with a seagull. I took it with a 6x6 folder, it was enlarged to 8x10. Soft everywhere, and mainly gray. I like it. Jim liked it. When I had it at on my desk at work passerby liked it. It fell miles short of everyone's minimum acceptable level of sharpness. Mush R us. And yet it pleased.

    My brother, who pays his bills by selling prints, shoots 35 mm. He has one shot, taken somewhere in the San Juans, that sells fairly well at 20" x 30". Sharp it isn't, it can't bear close examination. But it pleases him and many others. Strong composition and all that. There's really more than image quality.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Posts
    2,644

    Re: apperture f22 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    There's really more than image quality.
    Yeah, there is even a name for it. It's called Art.

  5. #15
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: apperture f22 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    [...] a shot I'd taken of Mono Lake, with a seagull. [...]
    The seagull is a very good compromise. The buzzard is almost impossible to hand-hold and the canary is too fragile.
    .

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cote d'Azur France
    Posts
    80

    Re: apperture f22 ?

    Thanks Dan for the reminder..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •