Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horseman rollfilm backs on Arca-Swiss F-Line

Horseman rollfilm backs on Arca-Swiss F-Line

I'm looking at buying an Arca-Swiss F-Line Compact large format camera and am looking into using it for 4x5, 6x9 and 6x12 film formats.

My understanding is that Horseman has one of the best rollfilm backs on the market for 4x5 cameras.

First of all, is there anyone that uses this combination? Does the Horseman rollfilm back fit perfectly on the Arca-Swiss F-Line Compact? Is there any other brand that holds the film flatter or is of better quality?

Your help is appreciated.

I can't speak for the F-line as I use an A-S 69 FC however, I can speak for the Horseman roll film backs and have nothing but good things to say about the ones I have owned. I have used both 6X9 and 6X7 backs and have never had a problem with film flatness. Spacing between frames can be somewhat erratic at times but I have never lost an image because of it.

Ron,

I have two Horseman backs - a 6x12 and a 6x7. Both work great with my ARCA-SWISS F Line Classic (same back as the F Line Compact).

Kerry

To add on to Kerry's remarks, I have a Horseman 6x9 and it works great on my Arca Swiss F Line Classic too..as the back is the same as the F-Line Compact, there shouldn't be any problems.

There you go, 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12 are all ok...

Do note that for Horseman, you have to choose whether you want to use 120 or 220 film when you buy it.

Other brands that I know of are Calumet (which has a slip-in roll film holder and has very mixed reviews), Adapt A Roll (can only find used, and uses 620 rather than 120), Linhof and Sinar...

The last 2 are very pricey, but they have multiple formats (e.g. a single roll can be 6x7, 6x12 etc) and they are supposed to hold the film flatter than others. Sinar used to have a vacuum back, but that was only for 4x5, IIRC.

FWIW, you should use 220 film with a vacuum back if you want really flat film...

Toyo makes a back that is well made and popular in Japan, but I have not used it. The late model Graflex lever wind backs are not that bad and are inexpensive in comparision. Sinar and Linhof also make roll film backs are fixed format, and for the same money, I think I'd get a Linhof Super Rollex back over a Horseman, as the Linhof is much better quality (construction wise) and is reputed to hold the film as flat as anything else. Late model Linhofs sell on eBay for $35- to $450 all the time - the black ones are the newer versions. Do not get the old "Rollex" back with the knob wind.

Hi

I have the Cambo 6x12 and the Horseman 6x12, 6x9, 6x7 and a Toyo 6x9 and the Sinar 6x9. The Cambo is in my case not in use anymore because of film transportation problems bad film flatness etc. The pro of the Sinar is it slips under the groundglass, so you can work very fast! I like the Horsemans very much because the filmloading is the easiest, but if I always have to recheck the framing etc then the Sinar is the winner! Horseman, Sinar and Toyo are in the same quality liga! Good luck, all of them work also on my Arca F-Line!

Thanks to all of you for your help!!

Ron

With an Arca Swiss Discovery, which is similar to the F-Line... When you are ready to shoot, you just take off the existing back, and replace it with the roll film back, pull out the darkslide, and shoot ?

Ken. The Arca Swiss Discovery has a springback like all 4"x5" F-line models. You do not have to remove this back, just insert a 4"x5" (or 9x12 ;-);-) cut film holder or an 'insert-type' rollfilm holder under the ground glass like dozens of classical and modern 4"x5" cameras. But you may use a 'graflock type' 4"x5" rollfilm back as well for which you have to remove the ground glass, not the whole back. In this case the rollfilm back is held by the grafloks, some kind of sliding bars.

The Arca Swiss 6x9 F-line is used with rollfilm 99.99% of the times, but a small accessory springback ground glass does exist if you want to use cut film in 2"x3" format.
    On the 6x9, you remove the ground glass with a one-hand operated latch and substitute the rollfilm back which is the small 6x9 graflock type, mounted on an intermediate Arca Swiss part that fits like the ground glass. It is extremely fast thanks to the one-hand operated latch and mechanically re-positioning is as good as with a springback if not better. You may also use the graflock bars, but the Arca Swiss latch is much more convenient.

"You do not have to remove this back, just insert a 4"x5" (or 9x12 ;-);-) cut film holder or an 'insert-type' rollfilm holder under the ground glass like dozens of classical and modern 4"x5" cameras. But you may use a 'graflock type' 4"x5" rollfilm back as well for which you have to remove the ground glass, not the whole back. In this case the rollfilm back is held by the grafloks, some kind of sliding bars."

What are some of the nice models of the "insert-type" holders ? From their appearance, it seems that the Horseman models are of the Graflok variety.

Is there a reason why these holders seem to be more often discussed on this forum ?