View Poll Results: Sands through the hour glass...

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) I'm older (better) than 60

23 30.26%
  • 2) I’m better than 70

7 9.21%
  • 3) I'm better than 80

4 5.26%
  • 4) I'm better than 90!

0 0%
  • 5) Aside from "real" age, my body/mind/spirit is [X] years old

6 7.89%
  • 6) I’m too young to vote above. ;^(

39 51.32%
  • 7) There's more to it than real or metaphoric age: (Please share!)

2 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Admiration & curiosity about our venerable, graying shooters

Admiration & curiosity about our venerable, graying shooters

[Poll to follow]

Today, I was browsing the ever-enjoyable "How old are we?" thread (which is now 14 years old!), and as has been pointed out, the average age of respondents is about 49 years – older than one might suspect, given the physical and mental challenges of our old-fashioned craft.

That got me thinking about & appreciating the many people here, still shooting on a regular basis, who keep this average age from sinking to, say, age 35 or 45.

I’m not one of them (yet!), but as a preface to questions below, I do think this graying crowd – so quick to share tips here, practical and theoretical – deserve an occasional round of applause for their endurance and "staying power." ;^)

I also wish (I don't think I'm alone) that I had a better understanding about just how old these devotees are, and what their principal viewpoints might be, as LF practitioners who have matured well beyond age 49, the "average age" here.

If you're one of these people (or younger) and would like to share remarks about your personal experiences, please let us know –
    • How has your style (and technique) changed in field, studio or darkroom as you've gone through the decades?
    • What is the single most important attribute to "keep going"? When is it time to stop?
    • What balance have you discovered between losses and compensations?

Your reflections will help the whippersnappers around here know what to expect as time's winged chariot hurries near.

Re: Admiration & curiosity about our venerable, graying shooters

I'm a whippersnapper but have hung out with enough older people that it simply means they were born before you or I, and often have more similarities than differences. The differences can make for some good stories (as long as they are not repeated too frequently)!

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    ...The differences can make for some good stories (as long as they are not repeated too frequently)!
    I should add – let's please be tolerant & forgiving of any stories that are posted twice or thrice!

Well, let me say this about that ... uh, forgot what I was gonna say.

(Shrek)

I'm too young, physically, to vote in your poll, but I'm getting cranky enough I feel I should. Is there an option for that?

63, but think I am under 21. Brain fading quickly. Body failed some time ago. Loaded 60 sheets minutes ago for a fashion shoot tomorrow where I will be double the age of anyone involved. Shooting a massive 50's Linhof Kardan Color on matching Linhof tripod and dolly. It's all part of the vintage culture poisoning our youth. I'll also shoot Fuji FP3000B with Mamiya RB. THe organizer will wrangle the models, makeup, hair people and set the lighting. She will shoot digital and I will do my best to keep up. Fortunately the shoot is in my building, but I do need to make 6 portages to move this gear. I primarily shoot in my studio.

I didn't know what LF was until I started messing with it at age 60. Heck I didn't start college until I was 44 and got an MFA at age 50. I'm a late bloomer...who is enjoying an early retirement and doing what pleases me for once in my life. Since my studio is ADA compliant, I have no plan to stop until they carry me out.

Pretty excited about the shoot tomorrow, hope I can sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I'm too young, physically, to vote in your poll, but I'm getting cranky enough I feel I should. Is there an option for that?
    Yes, Jody – option #5 is for you, and we want to hear your story.

Option #5 is mainly for people (60 and older) who feel younger than their age, but it's also for younger people (like you) who feel older than their age. I'm certain plenty of whippersnappers feel like you do, briefly or chronically, given the demands of LF photography.

So if you're an LFer who's 35 but feels 75, we want to know how you manage the situation too!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I’m 63, but think I am under 21... Pretty excited about the shoot tomorrow, hope I can sleep.
    That is an impressive attitude for age 63 – inspiration for us all.

-----
    Interesting, but very early results (just 20 respondents) show a sudden, even dramatic drop-off between age 60 and 70. I'll be curious to see if this trend continues...

First, to settle an ambiguity in the poll, I'm slightly over 80. That seems better than being 90.
    • How has your style (and technique) changed in field, studio or darkroom as you've gone through the decades?
    Rather than capturing interesting subjects around the World, making better photographs of ordinary subjects near home is good enough.
    • What is the single most important attribute to "keep going"? When is it time to stop?
    If we don't keep going, we soon fall far behind. It's time to stop only when we can no longer keep going.
    • What balance have you discovered between losses and compensations?
    Wisdom, experience, and even better equipment have so far compensated well enough for decreasing strength and stamina.

Great Post Jim

I live to the part about ( It's time to stop only when we no longer keep going.)

Also , I plan to leave behind a complete printed history of my work in archival media... maybe it won't go to the dumpster.

One's age should equate directly to the number of square inches on the sheet film one shoots. That is all.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White