Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golwlandflex resurrection project

Golwlandflex resurrection project

Hello folks! time has come for new project. in January i rebuild one rally bad Tehnika IV

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ection-project

several days ago i got camera that i always wanted, but i never had money to buy, Gowlandflex 4x5 TLR.
    camera was in a junk shop on a flee market and it took me some time till i finally got it for a 300$. strangely this one is really in good shape, except lens issue. interestingly ex owner removed lenses from a camera and mounted Commercial Ektar 12" as taking lens and i think he used it as viewing camera (without any movemants and no close focus). camera only has 305mm of bellows so i have no clue what did he do with 12". to ad up to a mystery CE was professionally mounted and all parts are machined proper. i have no clue why they modified it it this way.

after removing CE i serviced Acme shutter and lens went to other board member to be enjoyed to 8x10. now i first need to see what the heck am going to do with a lens boards. normally i would just make two new boards start a new holes for the size i need and off i go; however bellows are in really good shape and in order to chage the boards i would have to unglue them and am sure that will them completely. Peter used some sort of black, resin type of glue or epoxy. i did a "biopsy" took small part and try to de solve it in acetone, gas, solvent... nothing worked. i dont se the way i can remove the bellows without ripping them or shortening them... holes are strange 75.60mm with a treading that is 2 lines per mill. i looked in to sizes and closest thing would be Acme 5 that is way to big to be mounted on this camera. i have no clue why someone made holes so big. there is not much about Golwlandflex and i look all the photos i could find and it looks to me Peter didnt made it this way, not unless this was the custom job. now only thing for me to do is to machine mounting flange and use existing boards.

Camera number is 857 so of anyone has any clue i would appreciate any clues or photos of your Gowlandflex

now i need to see where to go with this project. i would like to have longer lenses but unfortunately not enough bellows. this is brings me to to possible options

- Modern 210 Japanese lens. i can get really nice one for next to nothing and i viewing lens for even less. only down side is the focal length and probably limited close focus.

- 270mm Tele-Arton if i am lucky yo find late models i could get away with my plan. Tele-Arton has small FFD of only 168mm for infinity. for you not familiar wit this lens, it was lens specially designed for Technika so it could be used on first rail almost in all range. it has small circle and it was not popular back in the days... now there are two major issues: if i pick Tele-Arton i need two of them. with FFD of 168mm i cant use any other lens as viewing lens it has to be TA not even a different generation. also they are big with a shutter around 1.3kg and adding two of them to front standard of already "soft" Gowlandflex. also they are around 400$ each so that is one more thing to conceder

- i dont know what parallax correction rail i have and i would love to know if anyone has experience with making a new rail

i am new to Gowlandflex so i would really appreciate any information from gowland owners or any advice you have

thanks

Re: Golwlandflex resurrection project

now photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2971.jpg   IMG_2972.jpg  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2973.jpg  

Those lens holes are about the open (square) part of the board mount opening on my 4x5 Graphic View II, and larger than the round ones on my 4x5 B&J press. Given that, why don't you just make normal slide-lock board mounting systems for standard 4x4" boards for each hole, and screw them onto the front of what's there? Then any lens you want will just clip on, easily.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

mdarton, i was thinking of that also and if had only one lens that would be a way to go. finding a dead center of a hole with that new board would be bit hard but in a case i had bit of "rise" or shift i would not care because at the end of the day you are composing on ground glass. in this case, with two lenses that would be a problem and i dont see how could i sync them. probabbly new 4x4 boards would need inner 75.6mm guiding ring in order to center the holes... on the other hand if i cut the boards on CNC i can simply put radius pins, i have to see this. thanks

You can find tele arton 270 for way less than that. Hell, I have Nikkor-T 270 (a much better lens, in my opinion) that I would part with for $400!

Just FYI, at one point I had a Keith Camera twin lens 4x5. It came with two 254mm Ilex Paragons, one in shutter and one in a barrel. Chris tested the lens, and you can see the results at: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testin...0mm_thru_270mm

Are you sure that you need tele lenses?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Since the cam and follower are only for parallax (and not for a rangefinder) You could probably use cardboard and some trial and error comparing the ground-glass view with the reflex finder. When you have something close, use the cardboard as a template to make something more durable out of Lexan or metal.

Dang, I had two Tele-Artons just a few months ago, in matching shutters. One has a majorly damaged rear element but images fine. It would've been perfect for you but I sold the good one. That said, if you find a good TA I have a slightly damaged one that would be perfect for your viewing lens!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

thanks for your input!

Peter: i am sure i want something longer as my normal portrait is 300mm. in general i shoot portrets with longer lenses and i would love loner TLR. unfortunately Gowlandflex has limitations.

ic-racer: its a good idea to use cardboard mockup and then cut a metal one this can be also a good moment to make a custom groundglass

ed-sawyer: what is a FFD (flange to focal distance) on Nikkor-T 270. isit short like on Tele-Arton or tits 270mm?

corran: you have PM