Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6X10 Format

Re: 6X10 Format

I came across this link to Clyde Butcher's discussion of his 6x10 Wisner. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3607006&type=3

Jim, are you still rocking this format? How's it going?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    I came across this link to Clyde Butcher's discussion of his 6x10 Wisner. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3607006&type=3

Jim, are you still rocking this format? How's it going?
    Film holders loaded and ready, and the camera even made it on board for a trip recently, but was not used. Full plate used instead on that go-around. The reason is the lens boards for the rittreck only allows a couple choices, while the Kodak 2D has multiples available and ready to rock. So, no, haven't done much with it.

So many cameras and lenses, so little time. I did shoot in Goldfield NV. again this Saturday last. 5 new full plate films to scan.

I"d be curious to know when Clyde wrote that entry. I had a Wisner 6x10 for a few years. Purchased on Ebay around 2006-07. Finally became frustrated enough with the film holders to contact Alan Brubaker. I sent him my original Wisner film holders plus the camera back so that he could make new holders for the 6x10. Those came in and were simply lovely. Before I even gave myself a chance to use the camera, I sold it to a[n] [in]famous Ebay personage who is also a member of this forum. He, in turn, sold it on Ebay last November, but not to me, unfortunately.

Sweet little camera and a great format. Really very much like 12x20, but without the weight and portability issues. I have thought that if I had the money (not likely), I would perhaps approach Keith Canham about doing the same thing, but on his 5x7/4x5 platform. In fact, the film holders I had Alan make were of walnut, with that very idea in mind.

But unless I come into a bunch of money or a very good job (about equally likely, I think), that just ain't gonna happen!

If not for the cost of the holders I think 6x10 is a wonderful format and (I think) the trimmed piece of film (from 8x10) should fit 4x10 film holders. So with a 4x10 reduction back you could have two very nice formats. Had I the money and could carry all that equipment then I'd have an 8x10 field camera with 6x10 and 4x10 backs... three very nice formats with one camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    If not for the cost of the holders I think 6x10 is a wonderful format and (I think) the trimmed piece of film (from 8x10) should fit 4x10 film holders. So with a 4x10 reduction back you could have two very nice formats. Had I the money and could carry all that equipment then I'd have an 8x10 field camera with 6x10 and 4x10 backs... three very nice formats with one camera.
    You need to check your math.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You need to check your math.
    Ha... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    I"d be curious to know when Clyde wrote that entry.
    Will:

From the two dates mentioned, it looks like the post was written about 2010 and that seems about right given Cylde said he was headed to his 50th HS reunion. But I never saw any photos he took posted.

Like you, I had one of those original 6 cameras Ron made and a set of Mido holders. Thank heavens Agfa film was less than $1 a sheet for all that I wasted until Shin Mido finally fixed the holders.

Rather than repeat that format after selling the camera, I tried 5x8 since it maintained the ratio and used all the 8x10 film. I found the Chaminox holders and camera great with no issues. Quite a change!

These formats are great alternatives when you just don't want to hoist the ULF camera up to the tripod for the umpteenth time in a day!

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
    ...I tried 5x8 since it maintained the ratio...
    That's an interesting point I had never realized

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
    These formats are great alternatives when you just don't want to hoist the ULF camera up to the tripod for the umpteenth time in a day!
    Or an 8x10. The 6x10 seemed remarkably compact and light. But there's a lot to be said for a pair of scissors or a straight edge and razor blade. Much cheaper than a format-dedicated system.[/QUOTE]