Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dancing With Mr. D... Devilish Places

Dancing With Mr. D... Devilish Places

One of my favourites is the Devil's Beeftub in the Scottish Boarders. A great place to lose a cow.

Then there's always the town of Hell in Norway, but learning some basic Norwegian will induce a comedown.

Devil's Playground, on the Pikes Peak Highway at about 13,000 feet above sea level.

I think it's interesting how un-Devilish most of these places are. I suppose the people who named them felt very much at the edge of the earth.

In a county park near my hometown there's a glacier-formed pond, basically a hole in the top of a hill, called the "Devil's Bathtub". A pretty spot but difficult to photograph, as the slopes that lead down to the water are covered by second-growth forest.

666 is no longer in existence. It was changed to 491 a couple years ago and most of the 666 signs were stollen soon after the change was official. Devil's claws make for cool still lifes.

Cime du Diable.
    Photo by Jean-Marie Solichon.
    South-Eastern France, backcountry of Nice (Alpes Maritimes )

http://www.jmsolichon.com/frcasernes.html

I noticed a lot of mountains named for His Toastership in this thread.

I've been reading Paul Gallico's Three Legends to my 6 year old and in the foreward Paul comments on the story Ludmilla, about a cow in Liechtenstein where Gallico spent some time. Apparently they often have an inversion layer going on, seperating the lawyers and industrialists in the Rhine valley from the simpler mountian folk who tend sheep and cattle in the alpages. Gallico says that in the valley it is grey, overcast and money is what matters, while up on the mountains angels, witches, ogres and devils are sometimes observed in spiritual combat in the rareified atmosphere. The mountaineers see the industrialists as being blinded from reality by the clouds while the industrials see the mountaineers as simple and supersticious. Gallico comments that those who live in rugged lands are the ones who can best see the supernatural. Maybe thats why the Devil gets recognized by natives in rugged otherworldly places?

Nice story anyway.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White