Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual lens simulation

Lightbulb Virtual lens simulation

Good Morning at all !
    In a recent post i discussed about the idea to use a different lens for my landscape photography... but i have any idea or a sample comparison of the same scene with different lens! I have only a 150 rodenstock sironar-n , for me a very portable lens (inside my magic shen hao ) for my trails in the alps.
    So i have an idea .... Why don't use a 3d program to create samples lens comparison?
    This is a test-sample scene in real scale (in meters) , a 4x5 film format (127x102 mm) , target distance at 3.2 m (right column) and lens from 72-80-110-150-180-210 mm
    Probably i have to improve.... but it can be useful?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 72.png   80.png   90.png   110.jpg  

Re: Virtual lens simulation

and the others .... 150-180-210
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150.jpg   180.jpg   210.jpg  

It doesn't seem like it can really be at a target distance of 3.2 meters if the building model is really to scale. I've shot a real building with a 75mm Super Angulon on a 4 x 5 at approx 10 - 12 feet and I think I think you would only get a small part of the building - maybe a few meters in width and height.

Are you sure you didn't simulate 32.0 meters?

But it's a nice idea IF you have the 3D software which (except for Blender) is probably more expensive than buying the lenses. And of course the skill to use it. Going all the way one could used a photogrammetric package like Photomodeler (or the web based thing that Autodesk built from the French package they bought) and build fairly accurate models of a real scene and then simulate in Cinema 4D or other (Blender, Maya, Lightwave, etc etc).

I have to admit that I'm crazy enough to do exactly this kind of thing because I think it's fun, but it's actually easier to just get the lenses and take the pictures and study them and learn the characteristics of each lens.

Hi Jim ... The scene is an example of the software , isn't mine ! But it's not a problem ! This software is new even for me.(32 instead of 3.2? )...... but i consider the 150 the more realistic view for comparison! the idea is good but i have to create an autentic scene ! For me is not a problem , it's my work.... !

1 the right area of all format ! .... using 4x5 or 5x7 or 8x10 isn't correct i believe.

2 Create a scene with particular buildings or trees all with correct dimension.

3 create the right camera

I have this idea becouse here in Italy it's raining ... and i haven't the possibility of trying for free many lens ..... only my 150mm.
    When we adjust the model we can easy make a comparison with different format and lens .... for example i sometimes use 6x9 cm format ...

Hi Aldo

As I said, I'm crazy enough to do the same kind of thing and every time we do any improvement on our house I do a full model in Rhino and/or Cinema 4D and take photos and put them outside where the windows will be so we can move around the model and decide if the design is right and adjust window locations etc. I even model mirrors that we'll put on the walls and do animated walk-throughs to see how they look.

The lens simulation features in modern 3D programs are quite good - depth of field simulation is supported by all the high end software I'm familiar with.

But Cinema 4D costs more than it would cost for all the lenses you listed in total so I'm not sure it's an economical approach. Blender is the Open Source exception as it's free, but I've never been able to figure out how to use it effectively for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I think it's fun, but it's actually easier to just get the lenses and take the pictures and study them and learn the characteristics of each lens.
    Even easier is to use a viewing frame.

Do you use Rhino ? me too! I create 3d with it and then render with maxwell render . With maxwell i can create a virtual camera like the real large format , with the correct lens.
    Read this :http://www.maxwellrender.com/index.p...ite/what_is_it

Crazy idea ! if we create a real TEST SCENE , with different subjects to make realistic comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post

Crazy idea ! if we create a real TEST SCENE , with different subjects to make realistic comparison?
    Indeed, with a viewing frame , you have a real TEST SCENE, with different subjects to make realistic comparison, all around you...

Hi Also

I also use Maxwell Render, although more often with Cinema 4D. I tend to model objects in Rhino then import to C4D for scene development then sometimes to RealFlow, then back to C4D and then off to Maxwell - although the native C4D renderer has gotten much better.Do you ever attend Siggraph? I usually go every time it is in the LA area as it's only a 1 hour flight to LA from Tucson.

Unfortunately a viewing mask won't tell you as much about perspective and depth of field etc as a well done simulation (or a real photo for thqat matter)

Hi Aldo

Just FYI

http://xfrog.com/category/xfrogplant...14+Summer+Sale

If you haven't seen their plant models they are quite good. They're having a promotional giveaway of some models