Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "affordable" makro lens

"affordable" makro lens

Hi All!
    would like to get into closeup-makro 4x5 photography.
    made some test shots with my schneider 150mm lens,and saw that the corners are not sharp at all.neither with the 65mm..
    found here also ideas of enlarging lenses turned around.but its not working for me,cause my objects i want to photograph are not "flat",like a coin.
    made a research here,and found out that for this case i would need a "makro" lens.
    ok..
    to boil it down.
    i would like to photograph "3D" objects,with texture in/on them.
    red here that the sironar from rodenstock kicks ass.but to be honest my wallet cant handle it.(its 1000-1500 on ebay)
    but i found different types..one with a yellow line,one with a red line and one without..
    may i ask someone whats the difference?
    can the non-lined be also used to makro-closeup work,or just for "distance work"?
    could you tell me some good lenses,that could work for me,and would cost around 2-300 dollar max?
    Thanks!
    All help is Appreciated!!
    AlltheBest!!
    attila

Re: "affordable" makro lens

Tominon lenses?
    Pete

retrogrouchy

Fancy lenses won't get you more depth of field. Doing LF macro inherently means you get a tiny DOF because the required magnifications are very large. If you want to get non-flat objects in focus, you need to use focus stacking and similar advanced techniques, no special macro lens alone will do it for you.

Proper macro lenses will get you a flat field, sharp to the corners even at high magnifications. Enlarger lenses will mostly get you that too, but usually don't fit shutters and some have odd rendition in the out-of-focus regions.

The Rodenstock analog Macro lenses that are recently made have a gold stripe and are corrected for image ratios from 1:5 to 2:1. The Rodenstock macro lens for digital has a purple stripe.
    The red stripe is on the Apo Sironar S which are corrected for infinity to 1:10.

OP, there are many ways to get decent image quality at magnifications at magnifications above 1:10.

So, first things first. How much extension does your camera have? What's the range of magnifications at which you want to work?

If you don't give us this information the advice you get will be poor. Extension limits the magnification you can get given focal length. People will suggest lenses too long for your camera and desired range of magnifications. Lenses for use close-up are usually best at a relatively narrow range of magnifications. People will suggest lenses that will work for you but give poor results.

Pete, in my experience Tominon lenses in barrel for the Polaroid MP-4 are so-so and the shorter ones (17, 35, 50) are very cost-effective. The 127/4.7 in shutter for, e.g., the Polaroid CU-5, is quite good up to 1:4 (as high as I've shot it).

You don't seem to know very much. Buy Lester Lefkowitz' book The Manual of Closeup Photography -- its available used via, in alphabetical order, abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, ... at reasonable prices -- and study it before you spend any money on equipment. Also read the macro section of my lens diary (http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-04-08.pdf in French, http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf in English).

Hi Dan,
    I know that they ain't the best but he wanted cheap, Tominons are (or should be) cheap. He might decide that it's not really interested so he shouldn't have wasted a lot of cash. There are adaptors available for Copal 1's that allow an enlarging lens to be fitted. Gonna need a lot of bellows though.
    Pete.

I just bought a copy of Lester's book, in very good cond for under $5 delivered.

Thanks Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    OP, there are many ways to get decent image quality at magnifications at magnifications above 1:10.

So, first things first. How much extension does your camera have? What's the range of magnifications at which you want to work?

If you don't give us this information the advice you get will be poor. Extension limits the magnification you can get given focal length. People will suggest lenses too long for your camera and desired range of magnifications. Lenses for use close-up are usually best at a relatively narrow range of magnifications. People will suggest lenses that will work for you but give poor results.

Pete, in my experience Tominon lenses in barrel for the Polaroid MP-4 are so-so and the shorter ones (17, 35, 50) are very cost-effective. The 127/4.7 in shutter for, e.g., the Polaroid CU-5, is quite good up to 1:4 (as high as I've shot it).

You don't seem to know very much. Buy Lester Lefkowitz' book The Manual of Closeup Photography -- its available used via, in alphabetical order, abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, ... at reasonable prices -- and study it before you spend any money on equipment. Also read the macro section of my lens diary (http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-04-08.pdf in French, http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf in English).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Hi Dan,
    I know that they ain't the best but he wanted cheap, Tominons are (or should be) cheap. He might decide that it's not really interested so he shouldn't have wasted a lot of cash. There are adaptors available for Copal 1's that allow an enlarging lens to be fitted. Gonna need a lot of bellows though.
    Pete.
    Pete, FYI MP-4 Tominons screw right into the front of a #1, no adapter needed. They're not in M39 like enlarging lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Hi Dan,
    Pete.
    "i would like to photograph "3D" objects,with texture in/on them."

This would rule out a lens made for reproducing flat art on a copy stand.

Also, to capture that texture he would be best off using a good polarizer on the lens and polarizers on the lights, unless he is photographing precious metals.

firstofall:Thanks Everyone!
    yes,Dan,i dont know much,thats the reason im here..to learn
    and You are right,so here are more details:lets say i would like to photograph "rough" small stones,with suuupperfine detail.
    1:5-1:10 would work just fine.
    i would like to use a linhof technika III(dunno the exact extension,cause im not around her,but can measure later)
    Thanks Everyone!!i appreciate Your help a Lot!
    Best!