Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linhof technar in the flesh

Linhof technar in the flesh

"here is now a third Technar currently being offered on eBay, and with 3 days to go 13 bids pushed the price over $3,000 before someone pointed out that this auction was a fraud."

But only 5 bidders. The number of bids isn't what matters. It is the number of discreet bidders. And the ones that drop out well below the market value also don't matter. So this current auction seems to be coming down to 2 or 3 bidders. Hardly enough to make a production run for.

Given how much they are selling for, what would be the attraction of a used Technar as opposed to a new Cambo Wide DS with rise and shift, new helical focusing lenses that can be readily purchased, and a similar finder system?

Dear Bob

Unfortunately we didnīt met at Photokina, I must have gotten there only a few minutes after you where gone. i was at the booth all week demonstrating Imacon Ixpress backs on Technikardan S 6x9.
    If you would just hand over all US/Canadian orders on the coming Technar, I would be very greatfull. I have a few orders already, and also request from US.
    I, as you, also stock the Master 2000, but I dont understand why you didnt show interest in a new camera from Linhof. I am well aware that when Linhof shows a prototype, then years will follow until final production....but anyway ??
    I am selling Linhof, succesfully.,and Alpa succesfully....why not combine them a little.

As the authorized dealer of Linhof in Denmark.....the technar is not dead

FWIW, last year I found a Technar seller in NYC who was legit (we planned to meet) and he had a Technar with lens for less than $2000, although it wasn't a collector quaity camera. This is more in line with the prices for the Cambo and Sinar Handy, which are very similar cameras.

I eventually bought a Sinar Handy, and found it far less handy than a conventional camera like a Technika. No easy place to hold the camera while changing films, etc. The Cambo and Technar seem slighty better in this regard, but by then I was "off" the whole genre. I was able to sell the Handy for small profit though.

Bob S. has previously suggested that you could "build your own" Technar by attaching a helicoil focusing mount to a Kardan lensboard, and swipe the rear standard from a regular 4x5 Kardan. Attach the nice Linhof grip and perhaps tap and mount a shoe for a third party Voightlander or Leica finder - all the functionality of a Technar for a fraction of the price. Something a place like SK Grimes could do for you in its sleep, or not so hard for an average handyman to do in the workshop...

Anyway, somebody please bid me up - I'd love to see a $12 million auction here. And thank to everyone sending "yoshidoo" warnings (that's me.)

Well I really lucked out at the Austrian auction! I won the 5x7 Home Portrait Graflex for 250 EURO including their fee. I had question them about the condition before bidding and it appears to be very nice except that someone attempted to polish the oxidized silver, which can be restored (or perhaps blackened with a chemical or egg whites). I also happen to have a 5x7 Graflex focusing panel. An HP 57 just sold on Ebay last week for around $700 and it looked worn out compared to this one. Needless to say, I am thrilled! Now the shipping cost.......yikes!!! Can't wait to see what that will end up being!

OK, I realize it's no Linhof, but for those lamenting the lack of availability (and/or the high price) of the Technar, a very affordable alternative is in the works from Fotoman.

See:

http://www.fotomancamera.com/

for a preview.

Like their 6x12 and 6x17 models (that I'm currently reviewing), the Fotoman 45FC uses standard current and recent large format lenses from any of the four major manufacturers in Fotoman made focusing mounts. They also offer genuine Schneider helical mounts for an addition charge.

Since Linhof is reluctant to fill this niche, they have left the door open to others. Fotoman has siezed this opportunity to offer a new camera that, even with a brand new Schneider lens and focusing mount, will cost a fraction of a used Technar. And seriously, even if the Fotoman lacks the cache' of a genuine Linhof, in this case the "camera" is just an aluminum frame. Combine with a quality large format lens of your choice (and a Schneider helical if you like) and the Fotoman will be able to produce images every bit as sharp as the Technar - for a fraction of the cost.

Kerry

Now the crook has jacked the price up in hundred dollar increments by having a faux bidder bid twenty times... this is getting pretty funny.

Folks,

Did anyone ask the previous buyer if they were re-selling the camera? While it might be wrong to recycle Adorama's photos, the previous buyer does have a right to sell the camera, and it wouldn't be a misrepresentation of the product to use the old photos.

I just sent the previous buyer a query to that effect; we'll see what he responds.

---Michael

Look at the guy's feedback, then check the feedback of the person who gave him his feedback.

I just received an email back from the previous auction winner. He is not reselling it. He said the only two photos that are not in the original auction are the ones that show the serial number on the lens.

At the very least, he is tryint to sell a product with photos of another product, and throwing shill bids at the auction to get the value up. At worst, he has a completely fradulent auction . So, I placed a bid on it. I really hate scammers.

---Michael