Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Re: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post

If any store personal mocked me for my equipment choice, I'd ask, "Does the manager know you talk to customers this way?" The only thing a brick and mortar store has to sell is their service and courtesy. Everything is available mail order with a telephone call and a credit card. Usually at a cheaper price.
    It was ok. I know the guy and it was friendly mocking. I gave him trouble right back.

He did really piss off my good friend, Harold, though when he suggested that Harold sell his Hasselblad Xpan and learn how to stitch digital!

I've never been mocked, but I have been asked on many occasions why I bother shooting film in this day and age. Either that or the slightly more benign, "I'm surprised you can still get film for that." I usually just smile and go on about my business.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I've never been mocked, but I have been asked on many occasions why I bother shooting film in this day and age. Either that or the slightly more benign, "I'm surprised you can still get film for that." I usually just smile and go on about my business.

Jonathan
    Why do you shoot film? Why do you drive a stick? Why do you still drink Busch beer? Why do you own a Weber Kettle if you have a perfectly good Weber gas grill? Why? Why? Why?

Some people need to get a life!

I remember getting mocked one time, because I was taking so long to take the photo of the Grand Canyon. I was using a 6x9 baby Linhof Technika. Turns out that I had mistakenly left my darkcloth at home, and I was having trouble seeing the image.

multiplex

nope

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

actually I feel liked I was mocked the other day for the first time, I was shooting and this guy walked up to me and said "you know digital cameras have come a long way in the last 10 years" and of course he laughed, I replied yeah they have and and soon as they catch up with this one I might start shooting one.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

I usually get curious questions rather than mockery. The question "is film still available for that?" is usually among them. I let people look at the ground glass if I'm not too busy at capturing an image. If someone asks how many megapixels it has, I usually tell them I can get a 500Mb file or more out of a scan. That usually floors them.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Why do you shoot film? Why do you drive a stick? Why do you still drink Busch beer? Why do you own a Weber Kettle if you have a perfectly good Weber gas grill? Why? Why? Why?

Some people need to get a life!
    people still drink Busch beer?
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    people still drink Busch beer?
    Oh you're one of those people!

Yeah, there are a few of us left. I was at the supermarket one weekend. It was busy so I was using the lanes where you check yourself out. I was buying Busch and another middle aged fellow was buying another brand. The cashier did not check either of our Id's to see if we were 21 so the other fellow as a joke asked why. The cashier replied that no one under 21 drinks our beer!

What is it with the persecution complex around here?
    Whenever I'm out with the 8x10 I usually get curious admirers looking over my shoulders.
    I need to start carrying an album of contact prints around with me to give 'em something to look at.
    Pictures speak louder than bantering rhetoric.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White