Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Re: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

My son just got into 35mm film photography and I was listening in on conversations at our local store. It appears, from the scuttlebutt, that the next soldier to fall will be film developing---once the need falls below the level required to make a profit at the local level, it is going to become a DIY thing.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Funny... The camera store here all know me by first name and routinely apologize for any delays I might encounter if they're busy selling digital gear, which is an important "gateway" product line for them. And customers do move on to film, often with a format increase. This is a well educated area and real film always gets respect, and size matters too. Just too much local tradition famous large format photography for anyone to ignore. I really don't know why anyone would even be on the defensive about the subject. If some smartass made a quip about my camera, I'd just ask him if he'd never seen a camera before. If he showed me his cell phone, I'd just give him that usual sideways glance that implies "flatlander", or "ain't been around the block yet", or whatever. But no need. Even teenagers give me compliments and ask how to get in the game, and often request to look behind the groundglass. After all, they're out on the trails themselves, and not a blob of sagging lard behind a video game on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    My son just got into 35mm film photography and I was listening in on conversations at our local store. It appears, from the scuttlebutt, that the next soldier to fall will be film developing---once the need falls below the level required to make a profit at the local level, it is going to become a DIY thing.
    Central Camera in downtown Chicago has a lively film development business, however they do send it out locally with quick turn around. Of course I DIY.

Whenever I am near Central Camera I stop in and now buy all roll film and 4x5 from them. They stock lot's of chems, at great prices.

New, used gear and they bargain. Then Don, the owner, offers a cookie. Good cookies!

There's a black 8X10 Seneca in excellent condition with original bellows right now...

Get an Italian beef from Al's next door. The Art Institute is 2 blocks away.

Summer in Chicago is great!
    Tin Can

I was just in Chicago a couple months ago, and Central Camera saved my bacon when I took 50 sheets and I needed 70! Didn't have a chance to ask for or spoke to Don but by all accounts, he's quite a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Yes, and for using film. One guy I know calls me a Luddite all the time.
    Throw a wooden shoe at him.

I've called myself a Luddite before. Mostly jokingly, of course. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I don't get this-most people I run into think using a big old film camera is cool.
    This does seem more common. It's 35mm that more often gets mockery, or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    A college student called me an elitist for using LF film.
    That's not mockery, that's a compliment. I gladly accept that title.