Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Polaroid back for 4x5?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Which Polaroid back for 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x5fan View Post
    Then I'm guessing with one of these it really doesn't matter which holder I'd get?
    The holder you need for what is commercially available is the Polaroid 405 or Fujifilm PA-145 holder. The only instant film currently produced is the Fujifilm FP100C. That's it. There is no other fresh instant film available.

From a quick look at your other posts, you have a potential problem with a pack holder because you are using a Graphic View II. The pack holders are much thicker than a sheet film holder, and some older cameras don't have the clearance in the back to accept a pack holder.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Thank you my patient friends for answering OP's questions. I think I was having an off night. My apologies.

Good luck OP, all these answers are correct.

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

I use the Polaroid 405 back on my Super Speed with Graflok back. The Fuji version does not work on it because the dark slide is too stiff and will not clear the stop on the Graflok back. Either one works on my Chamonix 045F1.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Vince Donovan

This is about the most accurate, clearest, most straightforward, non-attitude-laden response I've ever seen on the web.

While the 3000 ISO B&W Fujifilm Instant FP3000B is discontinued, it is still available many places for double it's old price.

I love this product and still shoot it.

Look here.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I feel like I'm starting to understand a lot more. I'm a complete noob here to large format so bare with me please, that's the reason I wanted the back because I feel it would help me learn faster if I can see the product right away. I don't know for certain but what I heard is that the 405 back can probably fit between the ground glass and the back of my GV II as long as I have a graflok back (which I do), but as mentioned above there's still the possibility the pack holder may be too thick. So do they have sheet holders for the Polaroid 405 and the Fujifilm PA-145 that I can get just to be safe? Or should I take the chance and purchase one of these backs for packs and see if they will work for myself?

Watch these youtubes.

I found them using Google 'Graphic View II and 405'

I do not recommend using a 405 with your camera. I have the same camera and a 405. While it can be done, you will lose critical focus stuffing the 405 in as seen in video 1.

http://youtu.be/FvOOVgMiW2E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RZi2rGN80s

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by 4x5fan View Post
    Thanks for all the help everyone, I feel like I'm starting to understand a lot more. I'm a complete noob here to large format so bare with me please, that's the reason I wanted the back because I feel it would help me learn faster if I can see the product right away. I don't know for certain but what I heard is that the 405 back can probably fit between the ground glass and the back of my GV II as long as I have a graflok back (which I do), but as mentioned above there's still the possibility the pack holder may be too thick. So do they have sheet holders for the Polaroid 405 and the Fujifilm PA-145 that I can get just to be safe? Or should I take the chance and purchase one of these backs for packs and see if they will work for myself?
    Just remembered a Graphic View II I have laying around. I tried the Fuji PA-145 on it first. It fits AND the dark slide clears the stop on the back.

With that said I prefer the Fuji pack holder for no real reasons I can quantify. I only have one of each and just like the Fuji more. It is newer than the Polaroid, which works fine also
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Thanks, just watched both your videos. I agree I don't think I'll want the 405, I'd rather not lose the focus. Thank you.

Laying around? Wow you must have quite a few cameras to have forgotten
    Looks like I'll be going with the Fuji then, as it fits and I won't have any trouble with it. Thank you so much!