Thread: Problem with Gitzo G1570M Head

Problem with Gitzo G1570M Head

I bought a new Gitzo 1570M tripod head (low profile 3-way pan head for large format cameras) and have found that even with my 14 pound 8x10 camera set-up two of the three axes are fairly stiff. That is, when I try to level the camera for example, fine movements are a bit difficult, as it moves in a jerky fashion.

I have called Bogen/Gitzo's service dept many times over the last week and have never gotten anybody to answer the phone. I've left a message and also emailed their service dept., but still no reply. I'm really ticked at their lack of availability/response at this point. Therefore I am asking for suggestions on this forum.

I suppose I could put some oil into the axes, but I'm concerned that it may make tightening up more difficult, or that it could collect dirt, or not mesh with the lubricant already there.

Maybe there's some type of adjustment I could do. I've have tried to adjust one of the screws on the long handle, and it might have helped a bit, but for the other axis I don't see anything that can be done.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

The only solution is use. Like yours mine came very stiff and the first few months it was a PITA to use.
    I wish I could tell you a solution, but like you I did not risk putting oil in the axis cones, so I just fought with it until it loosened up.

I think Jorge is right. I have one as well, and it seems to loosen up with use.

Geos

I purchased a 1570M and found one of the axes too stiff. I dealt with it for a few months and purchased what I should have all along, an Arca-Swiss B2. Every few years I learn that doing anything half-way only gets me only half-way there.

Thanks to Jorge, David, and George for their responses. From Jorge and David I guess there is some hope of the head getting smoother with use. It's a shame that Gitzo, for over $200, didn't make a really smooth 5-series 3-way head. I went to a camera store and all the Gitzo 3-ways, EXCEPT for their new low-profile 2-series heads that just came out, are sticky/jerky. Unfortunately the new heads only support up to around 12 pounds, and I was told they don't know of any plans to replace the 5-series G1570M.

George - so you must either be one of the lucky ones, or I was one of the unlucky ones, because a few years ago I tried a B2, and it didn't lock up that securely in one of the directions (left - to -right), and with the panning control I couldn't lock it up as tightly as a B1 I had. I sent it in for service here in the US to the Arca Swiss factory authorized repair place, and it took several weeks to get it back and it was just about the same. Tried again, and came back again the same. I got rid of it at a huge loss. Given the cost of the head, to say I was a little bit peeved was an understatement. Maybe their service has improved, and/or maybe their QC has improved in manufacturing, but I don't feel like chancing it again.

(I may try to contact dear Bogen/Gitzo again next week, or send them a certified snail mail letter if that what it takes to get some type of advice from them. I'm not even asking for warranty repairs or anything - just advice. Maybe there is no resolution so they don't want to answer to that effect. This is something I can live with, and I like the basic design of the head and the two locking screws, but it's a real shame that with just a bit more attention to manufacturing tolerances they could have produced a superb head)

Joe

Geos

I tried to work the head in an attempt to loosen it up, to no avail. All else being equal, I'll take a panning head over a ball head any time, but all else is seldom equal. I'm happy with my B2 but wish it were lighter.

I must say, that I have yet to find a head that is perfect. I want expedition weight, incredible strength with infiinite and smooth micro adjustments.