Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honeymoon in Maui

Honeymoon in Maui

This is actually not as much about the particulars of using large format gear in Maui, as I have yet to get my first camera, and more to do with the experience of exploring Maui for 12 days and taking photos while I am there, so just a bit of forewarning on answers and replies in this thread.

I am traveling to Maui with my fiance (will by then be my wife!) Jasmine from August 14th until August 26th. We are arriving on the 14th at 4pm and then driving straight to Haiku. We'll stay there for 5 nights, followed by 2 nights in Kula and then on to Kihei for the remaining 5 days. We rented a 4 wheel drive Jeep, so access should not be a problem when it comes to rugged terrain.

We will be driving Hana road for a day trip. We have some suggestions from friends about local spots and secluded areas, but I'd love to hear what else you all might suggest. Love this community and I am excited to hear what all you guys have seen and admire about this beautiful island!

Fire away at will!

Re: Honeymoon in Maui

We went there for our honeymoon, along with Kauii. I don't remember we got out of our room except to eat. Just saying, you have bigger priorities this time. On our second trip, I liked messing around in the attic of the island the best, up around the high altitude craters. It's a totally different kind of landscape there. Go at night, see the stars. It's amazing. I usually stay away from beaches in Hawaii. I'm weird.

Les

From what I recall, there were some snorkle tours to nearby island (forgot the name). I've spend a week (in 97?) and I thought that was adequate...tho using LF takes longer :>). Personally, I liked the black rocks towards the end of the road to Hana - you can create various contrasts + using all sorts of props/subjects (& under right light). Getting up to the top of the volcano was really cool. Mama's Fish House offered some v. well prepared fish (some from the islands area). The island offers a lot....don't forget to just stretch out a blanket/towel and enjoy the spot, whether it's a beach or a specific vista....to smell that proverbial rose. Chopper flights are v. popular, if you are into this sort of thing. If you are not too tired (he he), you'll likely spot more photo possibilities. Oh one more thing, if you are going to snorkel, it's a good idea to get you some "booties" (wet suit socks), since the coral is rather sharp and it can easily cut your feet...don't ask me how I know this :>). Enjoy!

Les

My wife and I will be spending our anniversary on Maui the same week. We have a timeshare in Maui and go back every year. We Dive so it's hard to use the 4x5 at 130' below the surface but, there is a lot to see on land.

Buy the book "Maui Revealed" before your trip. This book is spot on from our experience. We stay at a resort on Ka'anapali beach which is North of Lahaina. Maui is laid back...expect to slow down..... "It's Maui time".

Hana is cool but, it was a long day of riding in a small tour bus for us. Rental cars are not generally insured for the last leg of the Hana drive....FYI, a sunset cruise is a lot more fun than a lu'au. We have gone to two and they were less than fantastic. A dinner cruise on the ocean at sunset was a lot more memorable. The blow hole (North end of Maui), Iao' needle, black rock and the Maui Ocean Center are worth seeing at least once. Too much cool stuff to list here......

It can be as much or as little as you decide to do while you visit Maui....but, you will never forget this time.

Don

Beautiful spots everywhere. You could drive the Hana Road every day and find new things. Go up Haleakala, explore Lahaina, and there's a nature preserve near Lahaina with a boardwalk that's worth exploring.

If you can, bring a tripod you can carry on board. When we flew from New York, our luggage (with my tripod) was delayed. It seems that this is not so uncommon with flights to Maui, for some reason. Fortunately I had my Technika and one cammed lens, so I could shoot handheld for the first day and a half, until our bags arrived.

I used to live on Oahu, and we went to Maui a few times. It's very, very nice. I'd spend an hour each day, at least, at different beach. It's an island, that's what they're good for. Go to a beach one morning at sunrise. Go to other beaches each evening before dinner, at sunset. Snorkel when you find rocky ones. Swim if it's just sand and blue water. Walk the beaches if it's too rough (watch out for big, sudden waves, on the north shores, which can sweep you out to sea). Fish if you want. each beach is good for different things.

Other than beaches, Haleakala Crater is neat, and not too far. The road to Hana, if I recall, was very long. But very beautiful. Plan for a full day.

yeah...that's not gonna happen

best case scenerio - leave the big camera at home, and take pix with your phone of places you'd like to photograph one day

do not inform new mrs this is what you are up to - just say: this looks like a cool place

just go..get married, have fun, pamper the wife and forgetabout taking pix seriously

something like that

oh..also leave golf clubs and all fishing tackle at home too - trust me

Been awhile but wife and I spent our Honeymoon on Maui many moons ago. Plenty to do and see. At 1st it was frustrating in that everyone seemed to drive so slow. But once I got myself to relax and set myself on Maui Time, no issues. One caution is that make sure if you are carrying camera equipment or any other valuables that you place them out of sight "Before" you get to a tourist destination, and not at the destination.

Before we got acclimated to the time change we made the trip up to Haleakala for sunrise as we were still on eastern time zone and waking up well before dawn. We were fortunate and that we had good weather, but in May temps at the top still dropped down into the mid 30's not sure what its like mid August. One activity that I wish we had taken was the Maui Downhill a 23 mile bike ride from the top of the crater down to the beach, basically you coast all the way with very little pedaling required. You'l travel from the Alpine like conditions at the top 10,000ft down through fir forests, eucalyptus and finally topical as you end in Paia on the coast.

We spent each morning snorkeling at either Ulua Beach Park in Wailea, or Black Rocks by the Sheraton in Kaanapoli. I felt that the snorkeling at these two beaches was better than the time we spent with a charter, snorkeling the Molokini Crater lots of colorful fish and not on someones timetable. We would normally get up get a danish and coffee at one of the shops getting to the beach between 7:30 - 8 am, snorkel until about 10 when the water would get a little rougher and a little more crowded. Once the trades started to kick in would head off either to Kanaha Beach park in Kahului for windsurfing or sightseeing and shopping. If you have a grill where your staying you might like to try heading to Azeka's Market in Kehei for marinated Korean Short ribs.There wee a number of other restaurants between Kehei and Wailea that had excellent seafood. Loved the grilled "Ono" (wahoo). Mamas Fish house was also excellent but fairly expensive.

From Haiku you should be fairly close to Hookipa beach park, If the trades are blowing it's worth a visit to see the Kite and Windsurfers playing in the waves. Further along the road to Hana there is a a turnoff on the left that goes down to a rocky beach Honomanu Bay a nice picture spot but 4x4 recommended and if muddy I would pass. You'll pass a number of waterfalls on the right as you head towards Hana. Can't remember which one but we pulled off the road , Hiked in a little bit and were rewarded with a wonderful waterfall and pool where we went swimming. Just before arriving in Hana there is a black sand beach with a number of caves at the waters edge. We didn't go beyond Hana as we made a lot of stops along the way and wanted to get back to Kehei before dark.

Maui was wonderful and we had no problem with anyone most were very friendly, only place we felt a little uncomfortable was one day at Big Beach at Makena State Park.

Have a great trip

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    ... snorkle tours to nearby island (forgot the name). ...
    Molokini

Les

It sounds about right, Brian. What I really appreciated about my trip (in February 97) to Maui/Oahu, that when I departed SF, the weather was absolutely dreadful....and dogs, kitties, volvos and 11x14's were coming down (no disrespect to Jim :>). The contrasts couldn't be more in your face: one place you look to be inside your vehicle to stay warm/dry and at another I was in my shorts, 70 deg at dinner time....and one just wanted to stay outside. OK, OK, not going to bore you with all the grass skirt stuff....

Les