Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Origins of the Sunny 16 Rule?

Re: Origins of the Sunny 16 Rule?

Yes, because you often shoot inside. I used to never shoot inside, because it never worked for me, as a kid.

I am still having troubles inside...

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    So what you're all saying is, the "Sunny 16" rule works just fine....except when it doesn't.

Call me technology-dependent, but I'm sticking with my light meters!

Jonathan

Most of us humans are born with two light meters in the front of our skulls. Now, whether they work "properly" is a different issue. But, most of us can distinguish between colors at many different levels. So, training the brain to recognize certain levels of light (or brightness) should be a simple task . . . one would think.
    "Photography is a marvelous discovery, a science that has attracted the greatest intellects, an art that excites the most astute minds — and one that can be practiced by any imbecile." – Nadar, 1856

The sunny 16 rules applies at mid-day in full sun. Who the heck is shooting at mid-day in full sun????

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I always had good fortune with Sunny 16 shooting square 35mm Kodachrome, aka 126 format.

This 1964 World's Fair Mustang conv illustrates that. I was 11 and had no idea what a meter was.

Obviously this an an example only and NOT LF. View with caution.

Attachment 118430
    That Kodachrome sure was nice stuff. Will anyone still have a cellphone selfie in 50 years?

Sunny 16 is connected to the variables in the exposure equation. This is an excerpt from the APUG thread "Is the K factor relevant to me or should I factor it out." The title is about middle gray which includes Sunny 16.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Defining K, part 5a p1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	118443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Defining K, part 5a p2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	118446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Defining K, part 5a p3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	118448

This is a total guess on my part, but I think the Sunny 16 rule is so called because f/16 is the minimum aperture needed for sufficiently usable depth of field with a 4x5 press camera equipped with a stock lens (focal length 127 mm or 135 mm). This rule of thumb for guessing the exposure in bright sunlight coincides with the rule that you should stop down to at least f/16 when using an Optar / Ektar / Xenar / Tessar with 4x5.

multiplex

jonathan

http://www.blackcatphotoproducts.com/guide.html
    it works pretty well .. if you have the time and energy to use it ...
    i've had mine for almost 20 years ago when i got it from mr black cat himself
    nice guy !
    john

I found sunny 16 exposures always left me with empty shadows. Sunny 11 works much better. I usually have a light meter handy and use "guess exposures" only in emergencies or when I'm packing a junk store camera for one of those photo outings where spontaneity and silliness is more important than a bag full of gear. How it all evolved is beyond me, but if you look at the typical exposure instructions given with amateur cameras in the "old days," you'll see they tell you to photograph with the sun over your shoulder fully illuminating your subject. Ugly light, perhaps, but it helped guarantee consistent exposures. If your roll of Verichrome Pan was exposed within a stop, you were safe.

Mr Black Cat has his 26 shades of grey. Interesting and patented.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    jonathan

nice guy !
    john

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    jonathan

nice guy !
    john
    I think what matters is to choose one method of determining exposure and sticking with it, whether it is this Black Cat guide, the Sunny 16 rule or a modern light meter. Any method will work provided you learn its limitations and nuances over time. (As has been discussed above, Sunny 16 is time of day and latitude dependent.) These days I use my spot meter for everything, even when I'm not going "full Zone System." When I want a quick average reading I use a small gray card.

I haven't tracked it, but I would guess that 80% of my exposures (which are often made indoors by window light) are shot between EV 7 and EV 11. If I could simply memorize which lighting conditions correspond to which EV I would be set.

Jonathan