Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yosemite

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Yosemite

I will be in the park Wednesday (tomorrow) and Thursday. If anyone is in the park would like to meet up in the evening for a coffee or a beer, send me a PM or reply here.

Thomas

Re: Yosemite

Wife and I are going up this weekend to Tuolumne to catch Glen Denny's presentation at Parsons Memorial Lodge Saturday evening.

I'm thinking of going to Bodie on Friday while the chance of thunderstorms are still present. Not that I want to get caught in a thunderstorm but with the "chance (30%) the sky should have some "character" in it.

Thomas

Maybe Taylor will meet up with you

Turned out to be a successful trip with 21 4x5 negatives exposed and developed and all worthy of printing!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Turned out to be a successful trip with 21 4x5 negatives exposed and developed and all worthy of printing!

Thomas
    Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post

Thomas
    That is incredibly () impressive. I usually consider ~25% going all the way to FAP status to be a success. I shot a total of 4 (5x7) over the weekend – none of which I am sure are even worth developing, if it weren't for "educational" reasons, plus one disaster of pulling the outside slide by mistake (Doh! …hope I was smiling ). The light was horrible for the better part of both days in Tuolumne.

To the good, my wife and I very much enjoyed the "Yosemite in the Sixties" presentation. It was a real time trip for me as I knew either personally or by reputation all the characters, locations, and events. FTR, all of Denny's work was 35mm black and white, more documentary than fine art, but it was his work as well as others in the pages of climbing guides that conspired to make an energetic young climber eventually pick up (lug?) a camera for purposes of personal expression many years later. My prize was getting him to sign the Lost Arrow plate in my well used 1964 copy of "A Climber's Guide to Yosemite Valley". Contrary to ignorant personal opinion voiced on this very forum, the inspiration for my work is not Ansel Adams, unavoidable comparisons of which are mostly due to a shared history and love of a singular place and technique.

Drew Wiley

One of the relatively early Yosemite rock bums (Ed Cooper) did shoot 8x10, though he might be a little better known in Northwest climbing history. Didn't use LF on
    the ropes, obviously.

Les

Thomas, it sure would be nice to see some examples of what you shot. I may dislike the people-popularity of Yos, but not of the place itself.

Les

Drew Wiley

People aren't much of a problem except in summer and peak waterfall season in the Valley itself, and once in awhile near Tuolumne Mdws. Certain entrances can get
    backed up with traffic, or be slow to drive in general, but that's mainly a weekend phenomenon. If you can't stand that kind of thing, there is plenty of backcountry to choose from. Even if you walk a short distance from the road you can usually find solitude. Go in fall or winter and things are a lot more quiet. I was playing couch potato last nite, having gotten acceptably pooped out on a long hike the day before, plus tree pruning, so was flipping TV channels and stumbled onto a rerun of the late Huell Howser's episode with Charles Adams, AA's son. Was glad to see a comparison made of the famous Clearing Winter Storm shot from the routine turnout with that of the same scene taken in a summer thunderstorm, which is my personal favorite of all AA's Yos shots, though I've only seen it displayed once. But on the typical summer day all you'd see is a lot of haze and campfire smoke from that spot, or get run over by a tourbus, and have
    your 8x10 trampled by sixty Japanese tourists clicking cell phones. But time the season right, and even that madhouse spot will be uncrowded. No worse than
    the South Rim of the Grand Canyon or around the Yellowstone hot pools. I wouldn't go to either of those places in summer either, but have in fact found solitude
    at both of them at the right time.