Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Shorpy image. 1864 and the photog left his other camera lens laying in pic

Another Shorpy image. 1864 and the photog left his other camera lens laying in pic

Here. Looks like a 'radial drive' which would be correct. He obviously has his wide angle on the camera Glad I'm not the first guy to leave half my stuff laying around in the picture.

Re: Another Shorpy image. 1864 and the photog left his other camera lens laying in p

Probably a CC Harrison. Looks like a tripod on the far left made from a small tree.

Re: Another Shorpy image. 1864 and the photog left his other camera lens laying in p

Good catch Jim! Nice period picture of one of our rare American Radials. For petzvals, I recently pretty much only shoot them, and have sold off most of my others from other countries.

Bruce, there are 2 or 3 other American radial drive makers in this time period besides CC Harrison.

Already lost the hood!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Already lost the hood!
    Probably unscrewed the hood and carefully set it on the Harrison Globe in use

Early eBay product shot. ("Hood included, but not pictured.")

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Probably unscrewed the hood and carefully set it on the Harrison Globe in use
    Look to the right of the lens for the lens hood.

hacker extraordinaire

Perhaps he intended to crop the image, and composed accordingly.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Look to the right of the lens for the lens hood.
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Perhaps he intended to crop the image, and composed accordingly.
    Ahh, the story unfolds. He first looked at it with the petzval, and he said 'dammit' dark corners. Maybe if I take the hood off the $!@#$^ thing will cover it. Nope, gonna have to put the globe on.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." King Solomon, Eccl 1:9

I think the hood was obviously blown off in the terrible industrial accident that also ripped the aluminum siding off that church building. Oh, the humanity....