Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider's analogue lens production

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Schneider's analogue lens production

I didn't see this information listed in a search of the lenses & lens accessories threads. I saw at B & H that a number of the large format Schneider analogue lenses were listed as either "out of stock" or "discontinued". I e-mailed Schneider USA asking what the deal was and got the following response back on 30 June.

"Hi Chris,
    I'm afraid Schneider Kreuznach discontinued production of all large format analogue lenses this year.
    Inventory is now limited to quantities on hand. Re: the 210mm SS XL, there are no more
    Sorry for no better news
    Sincerely
    Paul

Paul Cousins

Schneider Optics
    285 Oser Ave.
    Hauppauge, NY 11788
    T (631) 761-5000 x 212
    F (631) 761-5090
    c (631) 830-3645
    www.schneideroptics.com
    pcousins@schneideroptics.com

Thought those of you who didn't know, might like to know. What a bummer.

Re: Schneider's analogue lens production

So everyone is up to date:

Rodenstock has discontinued all analog large format lenses EXCEPT for the 135, 150 and 210mm Apo Sironar-S lenses and the macro lenses. There is still one each of the 65mm 4.5, 90mm 6.8 and 90mm 4.5 lenses left in the USA.

Also, both Rodenstock and Schneider have discontinued their loupes as well.

Rodenstock supplies a very large assortment of digital lenses in 4 different lines from 23mm to 180mm in Copal or Rodenstock eShutter (except for the 180mm lenses which are only available in Copal 1 shutter).

Wow, no kidding, I just looked on B&H for the 350mm F11 Apo Tele Xenar Compact I got a couple years ago and now it is flat out gone! Glad I snatched it up when I did...

With new LF cameras & LF film still being made but no more copal shutters, I wonder what the used LF lens market will look like in 10-15 years?

We all knew this was coming but man, is it happening fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    Wow, no kidding, I just looked on B&H for the 350mm F11 Apo Tele Xenar Compact I got a couple years ago and now it is flat out gone! Glad I snatched it up when I did...

With new LF cameras & LF film still being made but no more copal shutters, I wonder what the used LF lens market will look like in 10-15 years?

We all knew this was coming but man, is it happening fast!
    I may have got the last new one last year!

This is sad. Didn't Schneider redesigned their Symmar family of lenses less than 10 years ago?
    Linhof Kardan re

If they have any sense they will carefully mothball everything needed to start making LF lenses again. Things change...

RR

Drew Wiley

These lenses won't wear out easily either, so it's just a matter of time till demand for these tapers off too, though machine optics per se is a somewhat different
    category and subject to evolving application technology. Somebody could reinvent some kind of electronic shutter for view lenses. Doing is cost-effectively and finding a market would be a different matter. There are so many used view lenses out there right now, I don't think photographers will have a problem for another century, unless of course, they just absolutely need some very specific item that's already scarce. But if someone is desperately coveting something new, better
    buy it while you still can.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    These lenses won't wear out easily either, so it's just a matter of time till demand for these tapers off too, though machine optics per se is a somewhat different
    category and subject to evolving application technology. Somebody could reinvent some kind of electronic shutter for view lenses. Doing is cost-effectively and finding a market would be a different matter. There are so many used view lenses out there right now, I don't think photographers will have a problem for another century, unless of course, they just absolutely need some very specific item that's already scarce. But if someone is desperately coveting something new, better
    There are the Rodenstock eShutter, Sinar's version of the eShutter, the Schneider electronic shutter and the Rollei Linear Motor Shutter. So electronic shutters do exist. There were also older types like the Compur Electronic, the Prontor Magnetic and the Horseman shutter systems. And Sinar's in camera system shutter as well as the Linhof/Prestor Electronic in camera system for the Kardan cameras.

What is to re-invent?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Some of these lenses are subjected to very harsh conditions. One University is flying them on the outside of an Air Force cargo plane in the Arctic at extreme cold temperatures. We have several users doing aerial mapping with them and many used for forensic work as well as post mortum applications. While not all are in adverse weather many are used in conditions with some pretty strong chemicals and are also subject to some exposure to some pretty strong bodily fluids.

Demand for the digital lenses is increasing. If an when the digital technology changes then the optics will just simply have to change with it.

What exactly is the difference between a digital lens and an analogue lens? Is there any reason a digital lens wouldn't produce a good image on film?