Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The one you did NOT miss

The one you did NOT miss

In another thread, Jonathan mentioned all the photos we miss because the place/scene disappears or changes.
    That really struck a chord because I've had that happen dozens of times just driving to and from work.
    Have a couple right now I'd love to take.......

Anyway, how about a thread where we share the ones we did finally pull over or "get to" that you're glad you did?
    I drove past this sycamore grove countless times. I'd see them through the change of seasons and always liked them without the leaves.
    I finally dragged my wetplate stuff to the closest place I could park.
    There are many things I'd do differently but I'm just glad I finally made the effort.

Maybe I'll get to one of those on the list this weekend.
    You never know when they'll widen a highway or build a new apartment complex or .....

Re: The one you did NOT miss

I like this just as it is, if it were me, I wouldn't go back and reshoot. I think you nailed it the first time, very nice.
    8X10 Kodak Master View
    250mm Fujinon f/6.7
    360mm Graphic Kowa f/9

I shot this in June of 2011. Within a year the empty lot in the foreground became a high-rise apartment building so this unobstructed vantage point of the marquee is gone forever.

Pacemaker Speed Graphic, 178mm f/2.5 Aero Ektar, Polaroid Type 54.

Jonathan

Good deal Jonathan. I bet you have some 'mind shots' out there you might want to look into before they're gone. Kinda like a little motivation ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schroeder View Post
    I bet you have some 'mind shots' out there you might want to look into before they're gone.
    I do, absolutely. One involves a cemetery so I think I'm safe, but you never know. So many things we take for granted as unchanging change more than we realize and sooner than we expect. I was telling Austin that there was this old market not five blocks from here with a peeling, faded and weathered sign that I drove past for five years and kept meaning to stop and shoot. Then overnight it was remodeled into a spiffed-up chain convenience store and the old sign was gone. Drats.

J.

EDIT: The sycamores make a lovely plate, by the way.
    Last edited by jcoldslabs; 11-Jul-2014 at 21:47. Reason: Added info.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I shot this in June of 2011. Within a year the empty lot in the foreground became a high-rise apartment building so this unobstructed vantage point of the marquee is gone forever.

Pacemaker Speed Graphic, 178mm f/2.5 Aero Ektar, Polaroid Type 54.

good work, good for you, plenty of atmosphere there

rgds, andrew

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Don't be too sure about cemetaries...Photograph it while you can.
    Indeed. The two cemeteries I have in mind are not formal, gated ones but old pioneer plots full of crooked stones that are now surrounded by roads and convenience stores. It makes me sad to see these headstones marooned unceremoniously among passing cars and shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    good work, good for you, plenty of atmosphere there
    Thanks, Andrew.

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

And it's not just things and places that need capturing before they're gone. We had to put our seventeen year-old Cairn terrier to sleep last week. She had a good, long life and I took many photos of her over the years, but it always seems I could have taken more.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Indeed. The two cemeteries I have in mind are not formal, gated ones but old pioneer plots full of crooked stones that are now surrounded by roads and convenience stores. It makes me sad to see these headstones marooned unceremoniously among passing cars and shops.

Thanks, Andrew.

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

And it's not just things and places that need capturing before they're gone. We had to put our seventeen year-old Cairn terrier to sleep last week. She had a good, long life and I took many photos of her over the years, but it always seems I could have taken more.

Jonathan
    It is hard to put a little friend to sleep. I still miss my little Scottie. She was a wonderful companion. I's so sorry for the loss of your little friend.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

I drive by this house every Sat/Sun a.m.'s.

This trip, I saw the fog, and took off to the studio, grabbed the camera and film holder, and snapped off two of these.

Excellent! That's the scenario I was talking about.
    If I see a scene from the car it makes it hard sometimes to actually go and photograph it.
    Most of the time I can't get the same composition except in the middle of the road....
    But it does feel good when you FINALLY make the effort.

I passed this little forest on a corner lot dozens and dozens of times.
    About 20 feet in was an old plastic chair being 'taken' by the forest.
    I always wanted to photograph that damn thing...
    Now it's post office.