Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forte - more trouble???

Forte - more trouble???

Hi peoples,

I have been sourcing my Fortepan 200 from a number of suppliers over the last year.

I received today an email from the local importer of Forte products telling me that Forte was in the hands of receivers and "...future supply is uncertain."

In reference to 5x7 and 8x10 (what I have ordered).... "they indicate future
    production is unlikely. "

Sorry to continue the stupidity of inernet rumours, but seeing the importer told me I thought it best to post it here.

Hope this news is not true!

cheers,
    D.

Forte - more trouble???

David is, unfortunately, correct! I checked with Silverprint in London (where I get my Forte paper from) and they tell me that Forte are in receivership but it's not been made public yet. Possibly this is to announce who the receiver will be.

This is getting serious! There is a bit of a contradiction here, Rollei selling sheet film and Schneider making two brand new ULF lenses BUT Agfa stopping production of B&W sheet film, Ilford and Forte in financial trouble. It will be a while before it all settles down.

Forte - more trouble???

If Forte's situation hasn't been made public it isn't a very well guarded secret. I remember reading about it several weeks or more ago. I also thought they announced that there would be no more Forte paper (i.e. no waffling like Ilford,, which said their products might be continued if a buyer of their film and darkroom paper facilities could be found, though IMHO this was more a claim designed to sell existing inventory rather than a realistic possibility).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Forte - more trouble???

Agfa film and paper continues to be manufactured. Agfa sold off their traditional photography to management and the new corporation is "Agfaphoto".

Forte - more trouble???

Phil - what sheet films are Agfa still making in 4x5 and 8x10 - transparency and B&W? B&H doesn't list any?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Forte - more trouble???

Martin referred to Agfa SHEET film, which is no more. For the rest, no, it's not the first rumour concerning Forte. One would have assumed that they were better optimized for small scale production than Ilford, but it seems that they experience some problems as well. The last time, they said the problem was a lack of supply; I wondered if they lacked supply simply because they lacked the cash reserves to pay for it (short term liquidity issue) or if the business was really bad (long term negative cash flow). I know for sure that they're looking for a financial partner and some fresh money. It doesn't look too good, but hopefully they'll restrutcure/refinance and keep on going.

Forte - more trouble???

Interesting response from J&C here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10045

Forte - more trouble???

Agfa production of sheet films has been suspended, not discontinued. A decision on resuming production will follow completion of its spin-off transaction.

Forte - more trouble???

"suspended" for well over a year now for most of it Phil.

Can you expand on your source for this? (I for one would love to have APX100 and RSX II in at least 4x5 and preferably 8x10

But then again, read the repsnse David posted from J&C

It seems more and more unlikely that anyone is going to get back into sheet production right now?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Forte - more trouble???

Start learning to coat our own plates again???