Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Lens for Graphic View II?

Re: Portrait Lens for Graphic View II?

I have been looking at some online. They seem very inexpensive and they were made specifically for wet plate hm? What type of images do the lenses produce? Softness? Would a 210 give me some good bokeh for portraits?

Sorry for being a bit clueless, but what is a packard shutter? Would the mean finding a lens without a shutter or replacing the shutter with a certain type?
    Since I'm doing portraits and not landscape I won't be needing a wide angle, thankfully because I couldn't imagine carrying it anywhere with me even though I have it's original case haha. The lenses in the link don't seem to bad, nothing fancy but inexpensive and I'm assuming they'd get the job done well? How much would a packard shutter be and where may I find one with a F/3 or F/4 focal length? Would it be hard to get on the lens also..I've never had to put a shutter on a lens before.

You're the second person to mention the Packard shutter here. Thanks for all the lens suggestions I'll definitely take this week to do some searching. Also, Syncing to strobes sounds very handy, I haven't even thought of how I would work with lighting yet in the studio, and if you have any recommendations for that please tell. I've been hearing people suggest everything from grow plant lights to UV lighting, and since I'll be doubling the studio space with digital AND my 4x5 wet plate my lighting for digital isn't going to work out very well I assume?
    As for magnifying glasses and closeup lenses I'm all ears! I'm an adventurous spirit, part of the reason I decided to get into large format/wet plate

I have a pre war uncoated Wollensak Velostigmat for my GVII which I really like. They can be found pretty cheap considering how good they are.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm a little bit confused with the petzvals. They seem really nice and vintage like, but I can't find any with bigger lengths. How are they used for portraits if the standard for 4x5 portrait photography is 210-250, or am I just having no luck in finding those?

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

10" 4.5 or 5.6 Wollensak Tele is a very nice (and cheap) lens that needs less bellows than your run of the mill 210s.... The 210/6.3 Komura is also excellent value.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by 4x5fan View Post
    I'm a little bit confused with the petzvals. They seem really nice and vintage like, but I can't find any with bigger lengths. How are they used for portraits if the standard for 4x5 portrait photography is 210-250, or am I just having no luck in finding those?
    Plenty of f5 petzvals out there for reasonable prices and they are plenty fast enough for most wet plate work, all but the darkest studio/location work. Look for a Wollensak Vesta f5 modified petzval and most are in Wollensak Studio Iris shutters which work both as the iris and shutter @ the same time. Look for either the Vesta (5x7) 10" f5 or the Vesta (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) 11 1/2" f5 Portrait lens. They are plentiful and go for less then period correct Petzval portrait lenses go for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vesta f5 1922 catalog.jpg  

For a petzval or barrel lens how would I actually take a picture? I know I can use a packard shutter, but what if I wanted to do the cap or hat method? On all the ones I've seen so far it doesn't look like there's anywhere to put a cable release in.

I've been searching online for one of the zeiss tessars, and a lot of them appear to be barrel lenses without shutters. If I didn't purchase a packard shutter and decided I wanted to use a lens cap or hat for exposing my images how would I go about doing that to take an actual picture? Is there something for the barrel lenses to attach a cable release?