Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practical Resource on Movements for Beginner

Practical Resource on Movements for Beginner

Hello folks,

Just trying to get a better grasp on what all movements can be used for/applied to so that I may better understand how to look for my first LF camera. I am really keen on field cameras for their portability, but if I need more movements for the portraiture/landscape/cityscape/cinematic scene looks that I am hoping to use it for, then a field camera would be pointless.

I took a cursory look on the googles for illustrations or short informational pieces on the uses of all the various movements LF offers, but that was unfortunately a bit lacking in results with any clarity or real use.

Suggestions? I do plan on picking up some of the AA series on camera and negatives, but anything summarizing for purchasing's sake would be appreciated.

Re: Practical Resource on Movements for Beginner

Ansel Adams is known to be a great practitioner who also happens to be a great educator, so your plan to start with his famous series is a great idea. The first one, The Camera, would cover movements – its photos, diagrams, and explanatory captions are super helpful.

Three oft-recommended books:
    1) The Camera, by Ansel Adams
    2) View Camera Technique, by Leslie Stroebel
    3) Using the View Camera, by Steve Simmons

In addition, monographs by the "Masters" often have illustrations and explanatory text.

Are you near a local library? The titles above are common in most libraries. That way, you can "test-taste" a book before committing to a purchase for your permanent home shelf.

It just occurred to me that Half Price Books in your Austin, Texas area would likely have these books, softbound and hardbound, for a good used price.

Also, the search function here would be my next choice. Try key terms like "plane of focus," "front movements," "back movements," "DOF," (that's for depth of field), etc. You can type your term in the rectangular box, upper right, and click the magnifying glass. Remember the search function makes no judgments about knowledge in its results, but you'll quickly learn whose posts to trust and study!

For my 4x5 black & white class we used Beyond Basic Photography by Henry Horenstein. I found the illustrations in the book to be very helpful.

The OP is looking for a first camera, and worried he might get a camera lacking essential movements. I can answer this. Almost any modern field camera you buy will have all the movements you need. The more limiting factors are bellows length and lens board size.

Avoid press cameras, as most (but not all) lack some movements.

Field cameras with fairly complete movements include Chamonix, Ebony, Wista, Tachihara, Shen Hao, Lotus, etc. If you find a camera you like but are unsure, just ask here and you will get specific information for any model.

Good luck!

AA's books are very good - but they are not for the beginner, IMHO. One should look at a few videos on youtube before one tries to read and understand his books - sometimes the feel of them being more of a science textbook than a photographic book comes across. (I am no stranger to physics/chems/math, I hold an engg degree)
    I frequently have found that his books yield better with a 2nd/3rd reading - especially after one has a bit of experience.

I started with a press camera—many of us here did —because it was within my budget. Movements are minimal. In the early 2ks, View Camera Magazine had two how-to articles on modifying a Graflex for front tile and swing. I watched a friend do the tilt mod in less than five minutes.

By the time I had gotttenused to working in LF with my limited gear, I was ready for something more elaborate (expensive). Had I decided to get out of LF at that point, I didn't have that much in it.

Now I have a nice Zone VI kit and a Kodak 2D in 8x10.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thank you for all the responses folks! I'll be taking all these responses into consideration as I begin choosing my gear.

I have decided to move beyond the press cameras for the first one, as I am confident in my desire to shoot LF for a long time coming and do want something contemporary and solid. This thread is a great place for me to get started, thank you everyone!

I started with a press camera and it wasn't horrible. It had a little front rise and tilt. You could also raise or lower the bed, i think that's what you call it. Then I got a monorail because I was 25 and thought it'd be fine. If I had a better way to carry it, it might have been better, but there's no good way to carry one of those in the field.

I love my Wisner 4x5 technical field camera. It's pretty portable in my Lowepro backpack and can do...gosh, almost all the movements you can think of....but maybe not as much as studio monorails.

I think the guy from the view camera store made a video on how to use these cameras (just in terms of what the knobs do) so I would second the use of YouTube.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

This is the most basic of information pages: http://www.toyoview.com/LargeFrmtTech/lgformat.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405780591.064015.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	118554
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405780605.368512.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	118555

See if this helps.