Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aloha from Kauai!

Aloha from Kauai!

Aloha all!

Was directed to the forums by a fellow photog who I was poking for some info. Full time landscape photog and have been starting to get the film itch. More for my nude and portrait work.

Having never shot 'real' film (yes I'm a big younger) the recommendation was to start with a 4x5 system...looking at a Toyo 45AII and the Chamonix 45N2 45N-2. Open to other thoughts as well.

Looking forward to making the journey and being a part of the community

Thanks in advance for information past and present.

Aaron

Re: Aloha from Kauai!

Welcome. Film is a very, very different workflow especially large format. But you're at the right place.

Aloha from O'ahu!

Welcome to the forum, Aaron. It's too bad there are no good landscapes to shoot where you live.

You lucky dawg!

Drew Wiley

Welcome. Film and printing paper contain gelatin, so store your materials where they get good air circulation and are least likely to develop mildew under your humid
    conditions. A film freezer is nice to have, especially since you'll probably have to buy film from here on the mainland. I was Kauai a year ago. Pretty wild weather, so
    I only bagged a few 4x5 shots, but they were keepers. A have quite a number from earlier years. The Toyo is a decent camera but rather limited to mid focal length
    lenses.

Welcome, Aaron. Get lost on your way to NPN?

I am partial to the Chamonix camera. I have owned 4 or 5 different cameras and the Cham is by far my favorite. Very light, rigid and versatile, with a great extension capability for a field camera.

Preston Birdwell

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    Welcome, Aaron. Get lost on your way to NPN?

I am partial to the Chamonix camera. I have owned 4 or 5 different cameras and the Cham is by far my favorite. Very light, rigid and versatile, with a great extension capability for a field camera.
    Welcome, Aaron!

I am in complete agreement with Harley. I have the 045N-2 and love it. With the extension attachment, you can easily use a 450mm. The camera will stand you good stead whether on a hike with it, or in the studio.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

You get 5000 extra points if you can find a Nagaoka with the importer's decal on the rear standard address: King Street, Honolulu
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Personally, I like a heavier, metal camera for Hawai'i, where one is often dealing with high winds and humidity can be an issue at times (though it's not as bad as most people think--usually 60-68% where I am in Honolulu, a bit wetter on Kauai, though there are a lot of variations depending on where you are on any given island). I remember taking my ultralight aluminum 8x10" Gowland for one of my first trips out here some years ago, and the wind frequently turned it into a box kite. My 4x5" Linhof Tech V is a much more practical camera for the environment. The Chamonix is a lovely lightweight camera, but in the islands, I'd say you're better off with the Toyo or a second-hand Linhof Technika 5 or later.

Les

Welcome to LF forum, Aaron. Miss the snorkeling on the No. end of the island...wow, it's been 17 yrs.

Les