Thread: 2D is dead, Long live 3D...

2D is dead, Long live 3D...

I just read this and it is an obvious step. Why settle for 2D prints when 3D prints are happening now.

Next 4D, don't laugh. It will happen.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: 2D is dead, Long live 3D...

Google search: Lenticular printing

Lenticular prints are really neat! I've used some of the 3D cameras a number of years ago. There was a 3D LF rig posted about not long ago, and it's also something that can be done with a couple of cameras and mirrors. You get better results with more frames, though. The Nimslo camera used four frames.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I am familiar with Lenticular printing, but this new type of 3d high relief printing is something else. It would require stereo again, no, 3 cameras! Stereo photography keeps coming up, decade after decade, but I never saw much in the old stereo viewers except a headache. Same with 3d movies, the horror.

And by 4d, i mean a moving physical 3d mass that we could observe and touch in real time. Holograms are not that either.

I also remember the formed plastic relief maps that became popular in the 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Google search: Lenticular printing

Lenticular prints are really neat! I've used some of the 3D cameras a number of years ago. There was a 3D LF rig posted about not long ago, and it's also something that can be done with a couple of cameras and mirrors. You get better results with more frames, though. The Nimslo camera used four frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Next 4D, don't laugh. It will happen.
    I has already happened in my time-frame. Do you think I was not born tomorrow?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I also remember the formed plastic relief maps that became popular in the 70's?
    Yes, I remember the plastic maps. The 3D paper maps are similar to that. I remember aerial photographs and topological drawings at the library. Great for a few displays, but that's all, really. Those things take up space. There have been XYZ milling machines since at least the early 1990s, too.

At some point there will be something that will form dynamically under program control, and then there will be something faster, yada yada yada.

I want to see what will be done with the wood cellulose fibers that are as strong as steel (Gizmodo link). The applications will be very interesting, especially for on-demand 3D printed products!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans