Thread: older Arca Swiss compatibility

older Arca Swiss compatibility

Hi LF photographers!

This is my first question to this forum. I'm looking for a way to LF photography. I searched the forum's archive and find that at least Kerry Tahlmann is using a combination of older Arca Swiss monorail and newer F-line cameras. I have an eye on older 7x5 Arca, and would like to know, if it's posible to combine this camera with F-line's front standard? I would also like to know what's the weight of older (early seventies) Arca 7x5 camera? How about the bellows? Are the bellows used on 7x5 and 5x4 cameras the same? It seems that the seller can't find the serial number. Do you know where this number can be found?

Thank you for your replys
    Marko

Marko

Older Arca Swiss cameras have a very limited compatibility with the current F-line.

The only part of older cameras that will fit modern system parts is the old rail.
    Modern function carriers have been totally re-designed, but they do fit older rails.

You cannot adapt new frames to an older camera, no new bellows, no new lens boards.
    In other words, an older Arca Swiss camera is to be considered "as is", but some home-made parts can be considered, e.g. lens boards.

For a more precise information including the availability of old-style bellows, you should place a phone call

- in the US to Precision Camera Works.

- in Europe directly to Arca Swiss International, Besançon, France.

Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works can attach new bellows to older frames, if you provide the older bellows to steal the frames from. Or you could do it yourself, or have a custom bellows made.

I use the rail assembly from a vintage Arca with newer F-series parts, as I got almost a meter of rail for not much money and they are functionally the same as the current rails. But in general, the modern Arca gear is much better made - the lensboards have better light traps, there is less plastic, and the backs are much improved and Graflock style.

If you find a good vintage Arca outfit there is nothing wrong with them - I'd use it in good health - their weights are comparable, and they were good enough for Ansel Adams to use. If I found a perfect older one, with lots of extra components, I would consider trading in my F for the cash difference. But I really like the newer leather bellows and the nicer finish of the newer parts.

More history and info: http://precisioncameraworks.com/

Arca-Swiss is too lame to actually have their own website. Great cameras though.