View Poll Results: How far do you drive for a photo outing?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 miles - you stick close to home

8 17.02%
  • Up to about 25 miles one way

11 23.40%
  • Up to 100 miles round-trip

17 36.17%
  • Up to 250 miles round-trip

11 23.40%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You've got a few hours to shoot - how far will you drive for an outing?

Re: You've got a few hours to shoot - how far will you drive for an outing?

I routinely take an afternoon and drive down to the Moab,canyonlands ,arches area when the weather looks like it might produce some exciting light. I won't get home till late this time of year as the sun sets so late. 200 mile round trip depending on the area I choose. There are certain photographs I have in mind that I have been trying to get for years but sometimes the sky I want and what nature gives me are different I'll keep trying as I enjoy the trip. Traffic is non existent so the drive is pleasurable. My 20 mpg doesn't bother me too much as I enjoy the drive and it's cheaper than a meal and a movie would set me back.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Once, not long ago, I got the urge to shoot Bodie in B&W with the 8x10 for alternative prints. Got up at 3am and drove straight to Bodie, ~ 225 miles one-way, spent the whole day shooting, and drove back arriving back home at around midnight. Was it worth it? YES!

BTW, I drive a small Toyota Echo which gets ~45MPG so it probably cost around $40 in fuel.

Thomas
    Been thinking of doing the same thing .....

On Saturday, I drove from Melbourne to Meredith in country Victoria (Australia), to make one shot of a 1930's diesel-electric rail motor as it sped past the old (now a private home) bluestone station there. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I did nearly freeze to death, AND it was a 232km* round trip (longer really, because I detoured home via Geelong)...

In retrospect, I wish I had paused a fraction of a second longer before squeezing the shutter release, for better composition, but at least I got the exposure right.

*144 miles for our non-metric friends.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Widows and Orphans Beware

A routine hike in the Catskills is about 250 miles round trip, so that seems about right to me.

I commute 25 miles (40km) one way daily to work. During weekends I am usually too tired even of the idea of sitting behind the wheel. Therefore I am sticking close to home, going out on foot or only for a short drive, usually taking (some of) the kids with me... All the more interesting natural spots (e.g. mountainous areas) are 2+ hours drive, which after a week-long commuting is simply and sadly too much for a roundtrip..
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    I didn't vote, as I will drive a thousand+ miles.

3 weeks ago I drove 10 hours+ one way. It didn't work out. I got back in the truck after 45 min and drove back 10+ hours. About $400 in gas plus $45 for misc. Got nothing out of it, not one pix. Just how it goes, I still gota try. I did my research best I could, but that was how it worked out for me that day.
    That is just absolutely insane!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Been thinking of doing the same thing .....
    Hi Angus,

If you're looking for company, count me in!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    My favorite redwoods are 55 miles up the highway -- an hour away (and some nice ones 50 miles down the highway). Well worth the trip for a couple of exposures -- or just to walk around if the wind comes up or if the rain starts, etc. and not worth bringing out the camera.
    Vaughn
    I'm going to be your area in a few weeks. Which of the redwoods do you find your favorites? I fully realize that all the good photographs have been captured but, I'm fully proficient at taking mediocre photographs.
    Thanks
    Alan

I have been working on images for a show next year on the Bisti Wilderness. As I am extremely busy these days all I can carve out are day trips. The Bisti is some 258 miles from my house. I tend to target specific images that I think will work, but don't hold myself to that if other opportunities arise or the light is different than i expected. Sometimes I never even get the camera out and sometimes I wish I had a time stretcher. That's an App right?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

When I had a job I'd commute 40 miles each way to work (for about 18 years!) through some pretty boring countryside & industrial slums. But upon closer examination it was loaded with opportunities that changed with the seasons (alas, I don't think we're quite zoned for seasons here in the San Joaquin Valley) All needed was the time to stop and shoot (which I never seemed to have!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White