Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PNW guide

PNW guide

Hi all,

I have a plan to visit Pacific Northwest this summer or let's say in September and still not sure what i should prepare, i just listed my digital equipment only, but film i wasn't sure if it will be a good idea for me.

So, let's make it straight forward, i asked many websites about those kind of photography group, and have no luck, only workshops that i don't want to pay, or all advising me to just hire/rent a car and do it by myself, so i don't think i will have time for shooting with film.

If i decide to shoot with film and carry something then i have to decide between medium format or large format, but as long i don't know how to access to locations by myself even i listed all locations name so i may be in rush to use large format, and all that will cost me a lot to do it by myself, so where i can buy film rather than i carry some with me? also where i can develop/process film over there so i can bring back the processed done sheets/rolls than i carry exposed not developed films?

How difficult to move/walk around carrying large format cameras? how crowded it will be in national parks or scenic mountains over there?

Re: PNW guide

We toured the Olympic Peninsula awhile back in the middle of summer and there were no crowds---nothing at all like Yosemite, Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. A car will get you to many photogenic locations while others will require hiking in.

"How difficult to move/walk around carrying large format cameras?"
    Size and bulk of 4x5 is similar to a medium format SLR system, but shooting an 8x10 or larger takes Herculean strength agility and guile!

DO- peruse the NPS websites for the National Parks in the PNW--check out the various State Tourism websites for Washington, Oregon and Idaho as well. Decide which areas tickle your photographic muse and make a list. Go from there (the NPS websites offer a "plan your trip/visit" link with info on transportation, lodging, and camping.)
    DON'T-book a tour, at least not for your entire trip. Being part of a tour group won't give you enough time for your photography but it can be a great way to cover a lot of ground in a short time in order to get a handle on the lay of the land.

Good luck and I hope you like great seafood!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Glazers in Seattle is the go-to place for medium & large format film
    glazerscamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    glazerscamera.com
    Kind of. They were my 'go to' place for LF/MF film and supplies for forty years. They still have one of everything but their supply of 5x7 and 8x10 is limited and the price is on the high side.

I would suggest you bring everything you need with you and, if you find you need more, go to Glazer's and they might have it. They are a pretty comprehensive digital outfit now and set up well for professionals. They do have a well stocked rental department.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Where i can develop/process film over there so i can bring back processed sheets…?
    If it's E6 processing for LF, Citizens Photo in Portland, Oregon is a good source.

(The state of Washington doesn't offer that service anymore.)

Plenty of beautiful beaches in the PNW accessible by car and never annoyingly crowded. Just one example: try Ruby Beach on the Olympic Peninsula (Olympic Nat'l Park). BTW, several dramatic beaches require only a mile or two of hiking, and you often get them to yourself!

So many more...

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    We toured the Olympic Peninsula awhile back in the middle of summer and there were no crowds---nothing at all like Yosemite, Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. A car will get you to many photogenic locations while others will require hiking in.

"How difficult to move/walk around carrying large format cameras?"
    Size and bulk of 4x5 is similar to a medium format SLR system, but shooting an 8x10 or larger takes Herculean strength agility and guile!

DO- peruse the NPS websites for the National Parks in the PNW--check out the various State Tourism websites for Washington, Oregon and Idaho as well. Decide which areas tickle your photographic muse and make a list. Go from there (the NPS websites offer a "plan your trip/visit" link with info on transportation, lodging, and camping.)
    DON'T-book a tour, at least not for your entire trip. Being part of a tour group won't give you enough time for your photography but it can be a great way to cover a lot of ground in a short time in order to get a handle on the lay of the land.

Good luck and I hope you like great seafood!
    Well, for now my plan is to PNW, if i will visit USA in the future again after this time then definitely i will put California and Utah/Arizona on top list.

I think i should rent a car even i don't know how to drive overseas, i feel afraid and worry about accident and roads directions and rules over there, but i should give it a try, i didn't find someone who can pick me a ride sometimes, i can pay for fuel, but sounds no one care to help for that and also i need my own time for photography, not many are ready to go into my photographic time,so i have to put budget for car rent/fuel/insurance as well.

Yes, true, i should ask about carrying LF around, sure the size/weight of my camera+lens can determine how hard it can be for long walk or hike, but i think i will be fine walking into cold air, i get used to walk for long distances, i hope i don't need to walk about 10kms only one way, which means about 20kms both ways, but i think i have to get ready to walk long around national parks where it is difficult to access with car further.

I know exactly or most which spots or locations i want to photograph there, i listed them, and i tried to be only in Washington and Oregon so i can have more focus on 2 states than going to 3-4 states, also i did put 3 weeks for my travel period, so i hope i can have most what i want to see/photograph in 3 weeks, 11 days in Washington and 11 days in Oregon.

I agree with you, i don't want to book for a tour, i did that once in New Zealand and i wasn't happy even i saw around a lot, i am a photographer not a tourist travel mostly, i know photography workshops are better for that, but honestly they are very expensive for very short time and to do what i want, i am already skilled and advanced in photography so i don't need to pay to learn, and paying too much so i can go around will not help me in my entire trip, one workshop for full week or 5 days is costing me about the budget of my entire 3 weeks alone by myself, unless someone willing to take me around and i can pay him with reasonable budget without him giving me guides in photography or lectures, i only need to access to right places or locations i listed on certain right time and that's it, so i will avoid those tours programs to save my budget for my need.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    glazerscamera.com
    Good, as my trip will start in Seattle because my international flight is landing in Seattle, so i will look for that store, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    Kind of. They were my 'go to' place for LF/MF film and supplies for forty years. They still have one of everything but their supply of 5x7 and 8x10 is limited and the price is on the high side.

I would suggest you bring everything you need with you and, if you find you need more, go to Glazer's and they might have it. They are a pretty comprehensive digital outfit now and set up well for professionals. They do have a well stocked rental department.
    I don't think i prefer to bring all or most films with me, also i am tired of those check up systems in airports and then not sure if film is fine or not or i have to test or i have to label my film bag and such, i will not shoot film too much, so i can buy some rolls or sheets from there, that if i will carry any film gear with me, i may take few rolls as this is not a big loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    If it's E6 processing for LF, Citizens Photo in Portland, Oregon is a good source.

(The state of Washington doesn't offer that service anymore.)

Plenty of beautiful beaches in the PNW accessible by car and never annoyingly crowded. Just one example: try Ruby Beach on the Olympic Peninsula (Olympic Nat'l Park). BTW, several dramatic beaches require only a mile or two of hiking, and you often get them to yourself!

So many more...
    Good to know, thanks!

I am not sure which film, but i think definitely that part screams Velvia, so definitely E6, but i have to decide first if i will take film with me, i didn't find anyone to meet there as a friend and guide and helping so i will not carry everything, digital is all what i need and more than enough, but i have some small MF film cameras such as Fuji 6x9 and Mamiya 7II and Holga, also i have a lightweight field LF camera, but i didn't use it and i don't think i want to waste time on using LF if i can't see much there on time.

I divided my trip plan to photograph into 2 categories:

1. Landscapes

2. Cityscapes

Under landscapes i divided also into 3:

1. Mountains with surrounds [valleys, lakes]
    2. Waterfalls
    3. Beaches

I don't think i will do portraits much there.

Here is a link to Glazer's film for sale. It probably worth a look to ensure you can purchase your preferred emulsions:

http://www.glazerscamera.com/store/f...rkroom?cat=102
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sawin View Post
    Here is a link to Glazer's film for sale. It probably worth a look to ensure you can purchase your preferred emulsions:

http://www.glazerscamera.com/store/f...rkroom?cat=102
    Cool, they have what i need except Velvia 50 in 4x5 which is discontinued, i have that but i don't want to risk carrying it, if i may take my LF then i will go with Provia or Velvia 100F instead, and for MF film rolls, they have all what i need, the prices are not bad.

Just one questions, are those prices without tax? or if i buy from the store they will apply some kind of taxes?

Thank you very much!