Thread: Symmar convertible 210mm or Symmar - S MC 240mm

Symmar convertible 210mm or Symmar - S MC 240mm

Dear Forum,
    Another beginners question.... I have two LF-cameras: the Cambo Master Plus 4x5 and the Plaubel Peco Universal II 5x7. I wantr to use mainly the 5x7 camera with BW-film and got the 4x5 camera mainly, because thereīs no colour film for 5x7 anymore. I also own two similar Schneider lenses out of two different generations: the convertible Symmar 210mm and the multicoated Symmar - S 240mm. Because I donīt like so much to change lenses without lensboards (and the two lenses require different hole-sizes) and the two camera systems have two different lensboard-standards, I want to mount one lerns on the Plaubel lensboard and the other on the Cambo lensboard... I for myself feel difficulties to take a clear decision...Which one is better for 4x5 and 5x7? Which one suites better to colour exposures? Or is there just no real difference? Being in my place, what lens would you use for the Cambo 4x5 and which one with the Plaubel 13x18?
    Once again: Thanks for your patience.

Re: Symmar convertible 210mm or Symmar - S MC 240mm

Why not get the Technika adapter board for each camera and mount the S to the Technika board and use it on both camera and sell the older lens?

The Symmar needs more extension (when converted), so I'd use that lens on the camera with the longest bellows draw.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

I'm with Bob. I was never really happy with the 210 Symmar so saw no reason to try it converted and be even less happy. I pulled the cells and used the shutter for something else. However the Symmar-S lenses are a different animal. I would do as Bob suggests or just mount the 240 for the 5x7 and get rid of the 210 Symmar and get a 210 Symmar-S or a 210 Sironar N or S or even a 210 Geronar which I liked better than the Symmar.

I would use the 240 on the 5X7 but it's going to be heavy.

I would just shoot black and white with the 5X7 until my back gave out. I would do anything to lighten the load like no filters, the lightest tripod possible, just 2 film backs, no big camera bag (just keep the camera on the tripod with the cloth over it), then sell all your other equipment and buy a truck to carry the thing. Kidding aside, I like wide normal focal lengths and the 240 on a 5X7 would be just right for me.