Thread: Loose aperture lever on Fujion 450C

Loose aperture lever on Fujion 450C

I have a Fujinon 450C 12.5 lens that I bought brand new from Japan a while back. It's my first and only large format lens. The aperture lever is very loose, it seems to work but even the lightest touch will move it. I've handled other lenses and I remember their levers being tighter. Is this something that can be adjusted? Have I received a faulty new lens? Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Loose aperture lever on Fujion 450C

Quote Originally Posted by Shunpuri View Post
    I have a Fujinon 450C 12.5 lens that I bought brand new from Japan a while back. It's my first and only large format lens. The aperture lever is very loose, it seems to work but even the lightest touch will move it. I've handled other lenses and I remember their levers being tighter. Is this something that can be adjusted?...
    Corrected, yes, but it's not really an "adjustment."

...Have I received a faulty new lens?...
    Not strictly speaking.

...Any advice is appreciated.
    Get a tube of this:

Remove the rear cell from the shutter and then remove the shutter from the lensboard. Using an appropriately sized jeweler's screwdriver, remove the two small screws that hold the aperture lever ring to the shutter. Lift off the ring. Clean the back of the ring and shutter surface on which it slides of any lubricant you find; there probably won't be much. Using a toothpick, apply a few spots of the Super Lube around the shutter surface, taking care not to glop any into its openings/slots. Place the aperture lever ring back on the shutter and replace the two screws. After moving through its range a couple of times, the aperture lever will now exhibit a satisfying and appropriate degree of damping, provided by the new synthetic grease, which won't ooze / gum up anything over time or become excessively stiff in cold weather.

Should anyone be aware of a similarly straightforward method for dealing with annoyingly loose aperture levers on Copal 0 shutters, please let me know. Copal 1 shutters are easy, and that 3 oz. tube of Super Lube is enough to "fix" about a billion of them.

Andrej Gregov

I have the same issue but with a Fuji 240. Anyone have suggestions on where you can send the lens for a CLA? I'd prefer not fooling around wight the lens myself. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by agregov View Post
    I have the same issue but with a Fuji 240. Anyone have suggestions on where you can send the lens for a CLA? I'd prefer not fooling around wight the lens myself. Thanks.
    Bring it over to Glazers.